•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SharpCap and ASI Amp Glow

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dynan

Dynan

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: NOLA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:34 AM

I'm just starting to image with my new ASI183MC-Pro. The only night I have been able to image I was using SharpCap. I bumped up to what I suspected was a problem with amp glow.

In SharpCap, dithering is only available in Live Stacking. I assume (there's that word again) that when one is live stacking the camera never shuts down. (Even when shooting a sequence in SC, I believe the camera never stops taking exposures.) Does this exacerbate the amp glow? Or should this be taken in stride, and calibrated out in processing.

All aspects of SC are expertly done, especially its Polar Alignment (which I realize can be used independently of image capture). I really want to stick with SC since its Smart Histogram, allied with its sensor analysis. It seems like a very consistent way to determine gain and exposure length, even including sky brightness.

Thoughts? Alternatives? Suggestions?

TIA! CS!

#2 chongo228

chongo228

Ranger 4

• Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:26 AM

I posted on the Sharpcap forums asking Robin to add dithering to normal exposures and not live stacking....he said he probably would in the future. If ampglow is exaggerated from constant exposures he defiantly needs to add this but I can't see how this would be different from imaging for several hours in a row. I have a 1600mm-c so i'm not experienced with the 183.

While we are taking about live stacking maybe I can save you some time....

One other problem with live stacking he (Robin on the SC forum) said he would might change down the road is what happens when SC can't align to previous images. SC will delete the image. SC was detecting thousands of stars and couldn't align. Go into the Alignment tab in lives stacking and adjust the minimum star width to 2 and lower the maximum to 12. Bringing the minimum setting up will stop SC from thinking hot pixels are stars. When you lower the max it will no longer pay attention to massive stars that get bloated and over exposed....which makes them worthless for aligning. 

Edited by chongo228, 17 July 2019 - 03:12 PM.

• Dynan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics