•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Backyard EOS Vs. Using cellphone "coupled" to camera

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JohnH

JohnH

Gemini

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:19 AM

I'm curious to see if anyone has done some comparisons with this now. I had considered buying backyard EOS to use with my 7D but distracted and ended up buying a 6D Mark II which now has Bluetooth connectivity to my cell phone.

The pluses for backyard EOS r that you get a lot of functionality with program and of course you get the read it out display but then you have to have a computer actually hooked up to your camera at all times so you need a laptop and then you have to worry about supplying power to it.

In my case I can use camera connect in my cell phone to control some or most of the functionality of the camera, but I don't get all the full functionality that backyard EOS but the advantage is my cell phone doesn't draw a lot of power and I can step back away from the equipment because it's a wireless connection and it adds level of Simplicity to it.

Is anybody else out there experimented with both of these things?

#2 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Aurora

• Loc: Where the stars at night are big and bright...

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:45 AM

What you propose will be fine for unguided photography.  However, due to the limitations of unguided imaging, most folks eventually use a guider to help improve the mount's tracking.  This will require a laptop connected to the mount and guider unless you invest in a stand alone guider.  The advantage of using a computer is you open up a lot of features that are very valuable to imaging.  Things like plate solving, custom tracking rates, creating sequences and mosaics, and even automated or autonomous imaging where you program the mount and camera before hand and then go to sleep while the scope does all the work for you.

• t-ara-fan likes this

#3 AgilityGuy

AgilityGuy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern CA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:46 AM

I’ve got Wifi connectivity from my phone to my Nikon F7200 but that system realistically doesn’t provide anymore functionality than my wireless intervalometer. Battery wise the intervalometer control uses much less of the camera’s battery since the receiver has its own. As far as camera batteries go my D7200 will shoot images all night on one battery whereas my D800 will need at least two for the same period of time. The Wi-Fi connectivity has always proved to be a bit less robust with my equipment. I’d rather be able to start things up and know it’s still going when I come back an hour later.

Edited by AgilityGuy, 17 July 2019 - 11:48 AM.

#4 Gary Z

Gary Z

Apollo

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:09 PM

John,

most folks want a larger display and better control and better able to see what the images look like.  A lot of folks may not get into this until after they hit 40 and the eyes need a bit more help.  It would be awesome if there was a full blown BYEOS for android or Apple for use with a tablet, or full camera app to for the tablet even.  Power requiquirements would still be small. The few times I tried using my camera without the computer for imaging with my DSLR ended up with results that indicated to me that I was wasting my time.  Fortunately there are two dark sites near where I live that has power.  There is one dark site with nothing but a concrete slab.....lol....I bring more battery power for that site.  But hey if you are happy with the results you are getting with your dslr/phone combination, all this is mute.  Care to show us your results?

Take care,

Gary

#5 droe

droe

Viking 1

• Loc: Fenton, Mi

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:22 PM

For long imaging sessions I like using BackyardNikon for the session planning. If you want to go wireless I might suggest looking into the ASIAIR device. It can do most (if not all) the functions needed for a guided/unguided long imaging session and no computer is required when imaging.

#6 John59

John59

Viking 1

• Loc: Round Rock,TX

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:24 PM

John,

I too try to keep it simple and the less wire the better.

I upgraded to the Canon 6D MKII as well.

However I have found that Vello's LW-100 Extendá Wi-Fi Remote Control for Select Canon works extremely well.

I rarely auto-guide as the 6D can do very well with excellent polar alignment.

I have been able to get good round stars up to 3+ minutes with polar and drift alignment.

With the Vello remote I can sit in the house monitor the camera, see the results and reprogram as needed.

The WiFi has much farther range and does not use the cameras battery.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics