•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tripod for CGEM DX

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 oldlongboard

oldlongboard

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Los Alamitos, CA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:48 AM

I'm the new owner of a CGEM DX mount.  However it didn't come with a tripod.  I was wonder if anyone had any suggestions for an alternative replacement.  Thanks in advance for you help.

#2 Waldemar

Waldemar

Messenger

• Loc: Netherlands

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:59 AM

I'm the new owner of a CGEM DX mount.  However it didn't come with a tripod.  I was wonder if anyone had any suggestions for an alternative replacement.  Thanks in advance for you help.

Berlebach offers first class wooden tripods: https://www.berlebac...sprache=english

For the Planet you can choose a mounting plate that fits your mount.

#3 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:38 PM

Not cheap, but there's also an adapter to fit other Tripods

#4 denny-o

denny-o

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: hemlock, mi

Posted 17 July 2019 - 01:57 PM

It's not answering the question asked  - but a 6x6 pole dropped into a hole in the yard is the best tripod ever made. Now, I see no profile for location city/suburb/rural/visual/imaging/yadda-yadda, so I have no way of knowing if I should have even brought it up. And, of course, it is not portable. But for cost effective it is hard to beat.

#5 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:01 AM

When you remove the wide base of the CGEM DX you will find the exact same base as the standard CGEM/Atlas/EQ6/... mounts all have so if you can find a tripod from one of those mounts, you are good to got.  You can basically toss that tripod adapter that comes with the DX since about the only thing it works with is the massive CGEM DX/CGE Pro tripod which you are probably better off without.  There are not a ton of aftermarket tripods out there with the correct head for the CGEM (or adapters to make it work), but the Berlebach Planet and UNI tripods work as well as ones from Geoptik.  The other option is going to be to go with some kind of portable or permanent pier for which you will need an adapter.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics