•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is it possible to fix a warped/bent plastic front cover

accessories
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Arminovski

Arminovski

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Test

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:58 AM

I have a Skymax 180 pro that I bought in december last year from FLO. It has a warped front cover (cap)that does not sit tightly on the scope so it lets in some dust and falls off from time to time. I've tried to put some weights on it and also store the scope upright but there is no difference. It just goes back to the original shape. Is there any way to fix this? The cover has the right size but shape is wrong, when one side connects the other sits sort of in the air. I have no idea where to buy it from either but I would like to avoid it if possible. I've been in contact with the retailer already, they offered in Jan to source a new one and that would take couple of months but now after almost 8 months they don't even answer my emails when I ask about the progress so I'm kind of fed up and want to fix this If I can. I don't think that they'll fix it. :/ What can I do?

Edited by Arminovski, 17 July 2019 - 11:59 AM.

#2 jerahian

jerahian

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:04 PM

I have a Skymax 180 pro that I bought in december last year from FLO. It has a warped front cover (cap)that does not sit tightly on the scope so it lets in some dust and falls off from time to time. I've tried to put some weights on it and also store the scope upright but there is no difference. It just goes back to the original shape. Is there any way to fix this? The cover has the right size but shape is wrong, when one side connects the other sits sort of in the air. I have no idea where to buy it from either but I would like to avoid it if possible. I've been in contact with the retailer already, they offered in Jan to source a new one and that would take couple of months but now after almost 8 months they don't even answer my emails when I ask about the progress so I'm kind of fed up and want to fix this If I can. I don't think that they'll fix it. :/ What can I do?

It's a little hard to visualize without a photo, but I think I get what you're saying.  The first thought that came to mind was heat.  Apply heat, maybe we a blow dryer on high for several minutes, depending on the thickness of the plastic, and shape it with weights before it cools?

-Ara

• ngc7319_20 likes this

#3 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:11 PM

Maybe set it on a baking sheet with a heavy pan on top. Pop it in the oven on warm for a bit. Check. Bump up heat a little if needed. Just keep a constant eye on it so to not over do it. Then let if fully cool well before taking pan off.

#4 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:36 PM

I'd go with Matt's suggestion.

Let us know how it turns out.

#5 Arminovski

Arminovski

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:42 PM

This is how it looks.

#6 Arminovski

Arminovski

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:43 PM

This is how it looks.

Attached Thumbnails

• 29135E44-4EE6-4F64-8A03-F546BBFB5FFA.jpeg
  • BF66DD91-1453-4E84-9F15-11B4497A5E78.jpeg

#7 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Apollo

• Loc: MD

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:45 PM

I agree with the heat idea.  I would first try a pot with hot tap water and go from there.  Ovens can sometimes have large temperature excursions before they settle on the selected temperature.  With a pot of water you can stir and be pretty sure of a uniform temperature.  You can slowly add more hot water, or boiling water, if.you need to go hotter.  Of course, be careful if you use boiling water.

#8 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 17 July 2019 - 01:17 PM

I'd go with the hair dryer / heat gun with a weight on top to flatten it.  Who is the vendor that is ignoring you?

#9 denny-o

denny-o

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: hemlock, mi

Posted 17 July 2019 - 01:49 PM

Scope pointed up

Heat in the form of either hot water or a hair dryer/heat-gun

Heat it until pliable

Slip onto scope

Place a folded bath towel on top with just enough weight to hold against the lip of the tube all the way around

Cold beer, tap fingers, hum to the music

Check it when cool

Be careful of too much weight (or heat) and deforming it into a dish

#10 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 02:09 PM

Bypass the retailer and talk to Sky-Watcher.  This is a manufacturing defect. 

Parts like this are generally not available for Chinese scopes, so the most likely way to get a replacement part is from a scope return.  Contacting Sky-Watcher would probably give you the best chance of resolving this.

#11 Arminovski

Arminovski

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:00 AM

Thanks everybody. I've contacted Skywatcher myself through http://skywatcher.com/contact/. I'll wait for an answer first before I try anything more drastic.

#12 Arminovski

Arminovski

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:34 AM

I'd go with the hair dryer / heat gun with a weight on top to flatten it. Who is the vendor that is ignoring you?

It is First Light Optics in UK. It went like this: I notified them about this upon receiving the scope. They estimated that it would take couple of months since this would need to be shipped from China by boat. Fine. I contacted them again in April. No news. Then at the end of May and around 2 weeks ago. I don't remember if we had any more conversations. I think we did but I can't find them right now in my phone. In any case no answer since May. The thing is, I would have been okay with waiting but but please keep me informed if there is an issue. Don't just leave me hanging if there is a problem so that I have to chase you... :/

#13 SamplingNature

SamplingNature

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:48 PM

I'm not sure the diameter of the scope, but camera retailers (Ritz, B&M) sell generic lens caps in a wide variety of diameters. They might have what you need.

Nor would it be unheard of to use the lid from an appropriately sized resealable plastic bowl as a lens cap (at least for cameras).

Edited by SamplingNature, 13 August 2019 - 08:51 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics