•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Polar Scope for Old CG-4 Mount

accessories equipment mount Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 SuperSirLink

SuperSirLink

Vostok 1

• Loc: Shenandoah Valley, Va.

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:26 AM

Once I get the astromania one returned I'll give a 94223 a try. Looks like amazon just started doing free returns through Kohls, so that's dropped the shipping charge risk for trial orders.

Got mine in on Friday and fit perfectly... I was able to even swap the collar that has the scale etched from the piece you remove onto the polar scope...

YWoNQgoh.jpg

#27 ericthemantis

ericthemantis

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:27 PM

Got mine in on Friday and fit perfectly... I was able to even swap the collar that has the scale etched from the piece you remove onto the polar scope...

Looks like what I need! AND, I'm glad to hear you were able to swap the collar. I don't use the vernier RA scale anyway, but I was kinda sad at the fact that I would "lose" functionality.

Just to confirm, it does measure 20mm (or slightly below or something like that)?

#28 SuperSirLink

SuperSirLink

Vostok 1

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:54 PM

Yeah, just need to loosen this set screw closest to the collar...

Yeah, actually 19mm...  Ignore my cheapy calipers, kinda sentimental as I have had them for over 25 years and never saw a reason to "upgrade":

x21LVPrh.jpg

Edited by SuperSirLink, 22 July 2019 - 07:55 PM.

• ericthemantis likes this

#29 ericthemantis

ericthemantis

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:18 PM

Yeah, just need to loosen this set screw closest to the collar...

Yeah, actually 19mm...  Ignore my cheapy calipers, kinda sentimental as I have had them for over 25 years and never saw a reason to "upgrade":

Those calipers are LEGIT. And I would trust them as much as my new harbor freight ones ;).

I just want to add, cuz I thought it was funny, Astromania pointed me to a different vendor for what they thought would be the right scope (nice of them, and they were correct), and Celestron support said, "I do not think I have ever seen this version of the CG4" (but after providing them measurements from my mount, they also confirmed the 94223 would fit).

Got the 94223 in yesterday and it screwed right in. It does fit the older CG-4 mounts as long as you unscrew the original polar alignment scope fitting. I need to post an answer on amazon to correct the person who said it wouldn't/didn't. 

Thanks for the help everyone!!

• SuperSirLink likes this

#30 zxx

zxx

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:49 PM

Those calipers are LEGIT. And I would trust them as much as my new harbor freight ones wink.gif.

I just want to add, cuz I thought it was funny, Astromania pointed me to a different vendor for what they thought would be the right scope (nice of them, and they were correct), and Celestron support said, "I do not think I have ever seen this version of the CG4" (but after providing them measurements from my mount, they also confirmed the 94223 would fit).

Got the 94223 in yesterday and it screwed right in. It does fit the older CG-4 mounts as long as you unscrew the original polar alignment scope fitting. I need to post an answer on amazon to correct the person who said it wouldn't/didn't. 

Thanks for the help everyone!!

Don't forget to calibrate it  waytogo.gif 

• SuperSirLink and ericthemantis like this

#31 SuperSirLink

SuperSirLink

Vostok 1

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:11 PM

Glad to hear it works for you as well!  Ya, I completely removed the original threaded polar scope mount ring.  The calibration is done with set screws that need a tiny allen key, which I don’t like, but it shouldn’t change once you have it dialed in. 

#32 zxx

zxx

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:40 PM

Glad to hear it works for you as well!  Ya, I completely removed the original threaded polar scope mount ring.  The calibration is done with set screws that need a tiny allen key, which I don’t like, but it shouldn’t change once you have it dialed in. 

The part you removed should have three thumb screws, they fit the finder scope so you can swop them out.

• ericthemantis likes this

#33 SuperSirLink

SuperSirLink

Vostok 1

Posted 27 July 2019 - 06:03 AM

The part you removed should have three thumb screws, they fit the finder scope so you can swop them out.

Woah, good to know!  Although I would expect once it is set you shouldn’t have to adjust it, using an allen key to make the adjustments was just fidly.  I pretty much have a dislike of the 3 set screw system. Can be frustrating, tighten 1, loosen 2, tighten 2, loosen one. Grr tongue2.gif A fixed spring loaded clip on one point makes it so much easier. I lol.gif

• zxx likes this

#34 zxx

zxx

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:44 AM

Woah, good to know!  Although I would expect once it is set you shouldn’t have to adjust it, using an allen key to make the adjustments was just fidly.  I pretty much have a dislike of the 3 set screw system. Can be frustrating, tighten 1, loosen 2, tighten 2, loosen one. Grr tongue2.gif A fixed spring loaded clip on one point makes it so much easier. I lol.gif

Yes the small set screws are a pain. Tip, if you swop them out do one at a time and in the upright position for each one.

• SuperSirLink and ericthemantis like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, equipment, mount, Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics