•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Does anyone use Astrel Cameras in a Remote setting?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 rms40

rms40

Viking 1

• Loc: NW of Harper, TX

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:32 AM

Thanks, Andrea. I saw a mask but didn't look at it very closely. The other ones I got are for another camera so I can use the chipped filters in it and then move the good set to the AST16200B.

Unfortunately, I am in the middle of some serious work business that I have to get finished before I can get the AST16200B setup and start using it. It will be a few more weeks before I can get to it.

Randall

#27 rms40

rms40

Viking 1

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:57 AM

Dhaval, did you get your AST16200B? I have mine setup with Astrodons installed. There is a filter mask that I used on top of the filters with the small washers on the sides of the filters. Everything fit well. I have connected with VNC viewer and can control the camera. I have tested filter changes, some out of focus test images, and cooling. They all work fine.

I have an issue because of my Hedrick focuser. While there are Linux Indi drivers for many common focusers, there isn't anything available for a Hedrick focuser. This prevents me from being able to use the focus routine to focus the camera.

I have asked Andrea to send me the Ascom drivers for the camera and filter wheel. That will allow me to connect from Windows and run the camera with SKYX. I was hoping to be able to use Linux for this setup but that isn't possible right now.

There also isn't an Indi mount driver for my Planewave L-350. I wasn't concerned about that since I use it unguided most of the time. This is another situation where there are many mounts that can run with Linux - just not Planewave.

Hopefully, the Ascom drivers will work well and I can run the AST16200B from my Windows PC.

Randall

#28 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:30 AM

I have not received the camera - payment issues (I have never understood why European vendors don't accept PayPal) - but beyond that, Andrea did mention that the camera is being tested right now. I did see some darks, bias and image files and they are looking excellent. As soon as my payment thing gets sorted out, we can take next steps.

CS! 

#29 rathijit

rathijit

Vostok 1

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:07 AM

I have not received the camera - payment issues (I have never understood why European vendors don't accept PayPal) - but beyond that, Andrea did mention that the camera is being tested right now. I did see some darks, bias and image files and they are looking excellent. As soon as my payment thing gets sorted out, we can take next steps.
CS!

Looking forward to hearing your review... seems like a good option for the price, especially since 36mm filters can be used on them. I don’t think there are any other similar CCDs with the same 16200 chip that support 36mm filters (maybe I am wrong?).

Edited by rathijit, 25 August 2019 - 01:01 PM.

#30 rms40

rms40

Viking 1

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:51 PM

Rathi, What a coincidence. Looks like we are all in central TX. I still live in Austin. My dark site is near Harper, TX.

Dhaval is the right person for remote imaging. I don't do that but have received and tested my camera. I also had Andrea test mine in the "real world" before shipment. It would be a long way to ship back - not the mention the hassles that might arise with customs.

My Astrodon and one Oiii Chroma 36mm filters fit perfectly. I should have the Ascom software soon and will load it on my camera and windows pc to test with. All seems fine so far.

My camera still had over 24in hg vacuum after it arrived and sat for a few weeks. That was good.

Dhaval, if you are installing your own filters, be sure and hook up the vacuum pump to decrease the vacuum slowly before opening the camera. This is documented in the filter install manual. Worked well.

Randall

PS - I just checked my email and Andrea sent the Ascom software and instructions for updating the camera. I should be able to test the Ascom connection later this week.

Edited by rms40, 25 August 2019 - 01:07 PM.

#31 rathijit

rathijit

Vostok 1

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 25 August 2019 - 01:00 PM

Rathi, What a coincidence. Looks like we are all in central TX. I still live in Austin. My dark site is near Harper, TX.

Dhaval is the right person for remote imaging. I don't do that but have received and tested my camera. I also had Andrea test mine in the "real world" before shipment. It would be a long way to ship back - not the mention the hassles that might arise with customs.

My Astrodon and one Oiii Chroma 36mm filters fit perfectly. I should have the Ascom software soon and will load it on my camera and windows pc to test with. All seems fine so far.

My camera still had over 24in hg vacuum after it arrived and sat for a few weeks. That was good.

Dhaval, if you are installing your own filters, be sure and hook up the vacuum pump to let the vacuum out slowly before opening the camera. This is documented in the filter install manual. Worked well.

Randall

Excellent! Thanks for the information..

Lovely to make your acquaintance. If you do any astrophotography at all and have a Facebook account, you may want to consider joining the Austin Astrophotography Facebook group we (Dhaval and I) are part of... it's quite active and we regularly post our latest photos and findings in that group. We also meet in person (if you are into that) from time to time.

#32 rms40

rms40

Viking 1

Posted 25 August 2019 - 01:23 PM

Rathi, I have always planned on getting together with other amateurs in the area. Once I purchased the land out west and started getting an observatory setup, I found that I am rarely in Austin anymore - except for work.

I will join the Austin FB group. I need to get things settled down between my job and all the work I still have to do out west on the land and observatory. I would like to get together with the Austin group before long.

Randall

• dhaval and rathijit like this

#33 Psion

Psion

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Prague

Posted Yesterday, 02:54 PM

I have the Astrel 16200B and I use a VNC remote connection via WIFI. I've integrated some new functions to Astrel camera.

Attached Thumbnails

• Astrel.jpg

Edited by Psion, Yesterday, 02:57 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics