•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

HELP! New Lunt 60 Dismay

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Usquebae

Usquebae

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: 43° N, 73° W

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:49 PM

I received today my "new" Lunt LS60tha with 12mm Blocking filter and found it shockingly dusty, with other possible issues.  Pics here:  https://www.cloudyni.../11551-lunt-60/

So, one issue is globs of what looks like glue carelessly applied and/or dripping/oozing, both near the blocking filter and aside the etalon.  The glob near the blocking filter is very close to the glass.  Also on the blocking filter glass surface are to "circles" that I could not capture an image of, which look kinda like looped hairs.  About 2/3 to 3/4 of the circle is visible, terminating at the edge of the glass.  One of the circles, at 5:30 in the photo, is maybe 3-4mm in diameter;  the other circle, located at 8:30, is about half the size of the first.  They are invisible until you shine a light at the proper angle, then they are really obvious.

The third photo is most worrisome, showing how thoroughly filthy the surface of the etalon is.  In pic 2 you can see some of the objective's surface, also covered in dust.

Last photo shows an odd saw-tooth on one edge of the finder shoe of the clamshell.  Is that intentional?  It's sharp enough to cut a finger on.

On a cursory inspection of the outside of the OTA I see no obvious signs that the scope has been used, though it is dull and smudged all over, not clean and shiny.  I've bought a lot of various new and used gear over the last 7 yrs and this is the sorriest looking piece of kit I've ever received.  Ironically, and sadly, it is also the single most expensive piece of equipment I own (at full retail).

So, is any of this normal for this scope?  Would anyone accept something in this condition?  I'm particularly interested in hearing from people who have the Lunt 60, though other comments are of course welcome.  My initial reaction is that this thing is so desperately dusty inside and out that it must be professionally cleaned before it is serviceable.

Thanks!

Edited by Usquebae, 17 July 2019 - 09:33 PM.

• icee_stars and buddy ny like this

#2 icee_stars

icee_stars

Lift Off

• Loc: USA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:23 PM

I would be surprised if this is "normal" for Lunt factory fresh units, very surprised.
I would be looking to return it as unacceptable and without delay. 
Hope you get a good response from Lunt!

• dswtan and PatrickVt like this

#3 dswtan

dswtan

Explorer 1

• Loc: Morgan Hill, CA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:51 PM

My LS60THa PT-1200 was bought used ~4 yrs ago and seems less dusty than yours. It is a little dusty though. But dust on optics generally looks worse than it affects performance. On a new scope though, I would be upset, I agree with you. If you bought this from a retailer, or even Lunt directly, there is likely a return period so I would just use that and move on.

The blobs, they seem similar to mine. They are stable. It seems most likely to be thread locking compound to make sure nothing shifts. You probably wouldn't have noticed these if it wasn't for the dust issue. Most optics have something like these.

My finder shoe is clean, no serrations.

The circles sound like water marks or some other solvent that's evaporated. It really sounds like you have a used or previously returned one in your hands. That does happen, even at the best of retailers who should know better. Bad mistake on their part though, and very inconvenient for you. Sorry to hear about this and best wishes in a speedy resolution!

• Usquebae likes this

#4 moshen

moshen

Apollo

• Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:00 PM

I had a new Lunt 60 that was unfortunately just as dusty inside and out. It was clear they just assemble these in a dusty environment and don't do a great job of cleaning and making the surfaces as new and clean as you'd expect. The blocking filter was the same way, lots of dust etc on inner elements (where it's inaccessible to clean). I don't think it effects performance but attention to detail in having them be assembled dust and spot free is just not there. Probably the dustiest new piece of optics I've ever purchased.

The black goop is some type of RTV they use to seal the threads and prevent unscrewing and is normal.

Here was how the rear etalon looked in mine (looking up from eyepiece side), the dust is not on the surface where I could clean it but in the sealed inner elements introduced in manufacturing. 

Again, I don't think it effects performance and perhaps that's why they don't pay much attention to it but I did expect cleaner overall optics for the cost and the fact that there is pride in being made in USA. The optics and eyepieces that I've had and made in China were generally very clean and dust free when new.

I would definitely let Lunt know your thoughts. I think they have very high performing solar scopes and great products but some customer feedback here could help them improve their production processes with regards to dust & cosmetics.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF1025 (1).jpg

Edited by moshen, 17 July 2019 - 11:19 PM.

• Usquebae likes this

#5 Dynan

Dynan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:06 PM

Note to Self: LUNT

• Doug McIntosh, t-ara-fan and PatrickVt like this

#6 Usquebae

Usquebae

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:37 PM

Thanks for the replies so far.  I have emailed Lunt and Astronomics (the vendor) asking whether a suitable replacement will be possible.  Moshen's report is not encouraging.  I am frankly shocked that they would send anyone glass with sealed, internal elements looking like that.  I'm not a dustophobe, but how hard is it to wipe a piece of glass with an alcohol-soaked Kleenex before you permanently seal it into the guts of a $1,650 telescope?  I shine a light into every piece of glass I get, new or used, whatever the price, and I've never seen anything nearly this dusty.  ohlord.gif

• icee_stars, buddy ny and PatrickVt like this

#7 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:57 PM

I think Lunt drop ships the telescopes upon receipt of order from a vendor. It is unfortunate though that Lunt is not doing basic cleaning.

I ordered one myself through Astronomics and mine will go on a second journey from the USA to Cyprus (about 8,000 miles away). I hope I am not in for a surprise, but barring something disastrous, I guess I will need to do some cleaning...

• buddy ny likes this

#8 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:10 AM

I just got a Lunt 60 tilt tuned last week in the sale and haven't had a chance to use it much yet due to work and clouds but I just took it out and shined a flashlight up the tube and mine is in the same condition as yours. I'm not particularly happy about all the dust either.

#9 moshen

moshen

Apollo

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:55 AM

The issue for me is that much of the dust isn't cleanable. Such as inside the blocking filter and in the inner etalon elements. Those areas, it's not really safe to disassemble and clean it. If it was simply on the outside surfaces I would clean them myself, no big deal. But the inside surfaces that are sealed and non user accessible being so dusty - it can only be introduced in manufacturing and there isn't a way to clean them.

#10 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Administrators

Posted 18 July 2019 - 03:27 AM

Sigh, cleaning accessory kit ready for the scope...

#11 Usquebae

Usquebae

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:52 PM

Lunt told me the globs are silicone placed intentionally to absorb vibrations in shipping and pose no threat to the glass.  I have been given return postage and they are offering to clean the optics, though I don't know whether they can clean internal surfaces.  I can tell that at least some of the dust on objective and blocking filter is external.  I have only looked at the etalon through the objective and cannot tell whether the dust is inside our out.

Lunt offered to replace the clamshell but that won't be necessary - just now I ran my thumb across the serrations and the entire serrated part snapped off.  The formerly serrated edge now looks normal, like the other side.  So that's good news.

No guesses yet on the circles seen on the blocking filter.  I wonder if clips inside the housing could be reflecting onto the glass?  There's a lot of light bouncing around, so who knows.

I hope they are able to clean it adequately.  They are out of stock on these and cannot replace the unit.

Nick - wishing you luck.  I hope they sent you the best one they had, since it will be a one-way trip.

#12 moshen

moshen

Apollo

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:31 PM

That's good to hear. Keep us updated on how it turns out.

#13 buddy ny

buddy ny

Viking 1

• Loc: USA N.Carolina

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:12 AM

Sigh, cleaning accessory kit ready for the scope...

No way..
I'd send it back.
If I paid good money for a lunt.
It had better be pristine, would any one accept an AP or TV in that shape??

Cleaning their lazyness
sets a bad president
Now if lunt paid me 50$ an hour & said we'll build it but u gotta clean it, then OK,. Maybe

The OP's scope looked filthy. I just got a Daystar Quark, clean as it gets.on the other hand I got a power pack from Daystar, nothing wrong with it. But the packing & boxing,. We're the worst I've seen
Hammered by UPS. So bad was it , that i took photos, going to send them of to Daystar
In 30+ of this hobby I've never had to raise an issue
But now I'm ranting..
Time for my morning medications

Edit
I read that the dust is In areas that are " uncleanable" even at assembly? Man ..build a clean room .not uncommon in optical fabrication facilitys

Edited by buddy ny, 19 July 2019 - 07:20 AM.

• icee_stars likes this

#14 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Administrators

Posted 23 July 2019 - 05:06 AM

Just received mine and it is clean as a whistle except for the (appear to be applied to all scopes) silicone globs which do not interfere with anything.

I was surprised to note that the Crayford focuser tension is set correctly, although I do plan to tighten it a bit more since I'll be using binoviewers, but I do not envisage any problems which may necessitate an upgrade to a feathertouch focuser.

Quite a hefty scope, but it should be quite comfortable on my DM-4 and (incoming) AZGTi. Time to take this baby home (got it delivered at the office) and fit it with a dovetail and a Sol Searcher. Good times ahead :)

• moshen likes this

#15 Usquebae

Usquebae

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 July 2019 - 05:55 AM

Excellent news!  dancey.gif 

I hope that in a couple weeks I will be able to report likewise.

• nicknacknock likes this

#16 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Administrators

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:07 AM

Usquebae,

I hope your unit is returned in optimal condition! What's the ETA on the unit?

FYI I did take a gamble, but it paid off. Cost to me including shipping, taxes and import duties was EUR 1,350. Had I ordered one from Europe, it would be delivered at a price of EUR 2,595 to EUR 2,615 (depending on actual shipping cost). Getting it at half price  - priceless!

I will put it through its paces and then I am sure I will get the itch to double stack ;)

#17 Usquebae

Usquebae

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:18 PM

Thanks Nick.  My scope won't arrive in Tuscon until Monday night.  Hopefully I will hear back by the end of that week, because I'll be off the grid the following week (literally without cell phone reception) in northern Maine.  I was hoping to have the telescope for vacation week, which kicks off with a huge family reunion celebrating my parents' 50th anniversary on August 3.  They were actually married on Woodstock weekend, so the party will be (vaguely) Woodstock themed.  Anyhow, maybe I'll come back from vacation with a beautiful new solar scope on my doorstep.

• nicknacknock likes this

#18 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Administrators

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:59 PM

That's a pity as it surely would add to the festivities of the anniversary. Still, a bit of TLC will surely help in making the scope look more presentable :)

#19 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Administrators

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:24 PM

OK, so I unpacked mine and had first light. Oh, my! The views compared to my old Lunt 35 /  PST 40 and a Lunt 50mm I tried several times, are worlds apart!

Quite a few proms yesterday and it was enjoyable to watch, but surface detail sort of jumped out and begged for a double stack module. Guess who just placed an order for one ;)

The carry case is the silliest thing ever. Fit the scope with a dovetail and a Tele Vue Sol Searcher and it don't fit in there any more. Also, if one gets a double stack module, a new case is required. But still, the carry case served its purpose. It protected the scope during a transatlantic trip and from the hands of freight forwarders and couriers, so job well done in that respect laugh.gif

Time to get a camera and start imaging our closest star. The ASI178 has good pixel size and just about fits the sun with a bit of room to spare for full solar disk imaging!

• dswtan and Usquebae like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics