•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Confused about QHY Series II and Series III AR (or IR?) filters

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 mmeichle

mmeichle

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:56 PM

I have a QHY 5III290C, a QHY 5LIIM, and a QHY174M cooled camera. I also  have a Orion SSAIO camera which is a clone of the QHY5LIIC, but incompatible with QHY's software.  (But at least it got me to get me to use more modern camera . than my Meade Pro II)  I have been very happy with these cameras and can play with  mono, color, and different pixel pitch configurations using them without busting the bank.

The problem I have is that I am confused about the window/filters that came with my cameras.  They are all adaptors for CS, and are needed to keep the CCD clean and accept extenders for 1 1/4 focusers.  It looks like from the QHY documentation that the filters are AR+AR.  This would make me think there is no IR filtering.  I bought a IR cutoff filter for the cooled  QHY174M as it seem clear that a IR cutoff is needed for that camera.  The other "CS" adaptor/AR windows clearly have an AR filter on them, but I am not sure they have any IR reduction.

As an experiment, I have a TV remote that has an IR led where you can see the LED itself, rather than having a plastic IR filter over it and are not always as far IR.  Since it is IR LED is very invisible, it must have a wavelength longer than 780 nm, and maybe 830 nm.  Anyway, using the cameras, I can easily see the blinking remote without any filters.  With the IR cutoff filter, the IR is definitely attenuated.  The filter on the Orion adaptor (labeled C and claimed by Orion. to be an IR filter) transmitted significantly more IR than the cutoff filter.  However, when I checked the window/filters on the QHY 5LIIM or the QHY 5III290C, the also both attenuate the IR, but slightly less than the Orion filter.  

The question is do I need a separate cutoff filters for the QHY5II and QHY5III cameras if I use them for anything other than guiding?  I occasionally used them for planets and easy deepsky imaging.

Thanks for any help.

Michael Meichle

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics