•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkySafari and multiple telescopes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gavin Bray

Gavin Bray

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Gold Coast, Australia

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:03 AM

Hi,

Is it possible to configure SkySafari 6 Pro to control more than one telescope (not at the same time of course)?

I have successfully configured one under Settings > Telescope > Setup but I can't see how I can configure a second telescope.

Regards,

Gavin

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:49 AM

Must be possible, if you had the present item stolen and bought another you would not expect Skysafari 6 to not be configureable for the new system.

Likely means that you have to treat the action as changing mount. Somewhere I had to tell one bit or another the mount being used.

Would likely suspect that it is not as simple as press a button called Mount A, Mount B, Mount C and all data is stored under the button. Maybe suggest this as a enhancement for Skysafari?

Actually trying to recall how much mount data is stored under Skysafari, have a feeling the relevant stuff of mine came under the Synscan App, not Skysafari. In effect Synscan was configured for the mount then aligned, all Skysafari did was pass position data.

May need to think of this myself in the future as the AZ GTi I reun from SS5+, but may add Wifi to a HEQ5 and maybe purchase an iOptron. My thoughts had been to go buy an inexpensive tablet for each.

#3 Gavin Bray

Gavin Bray

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:41 AM

I can certainly change the settings to specify a different telescope/mount but I'd like to be able to have two configured simultaneously so that I can connect to one or the other without having to change the settings. I suspect it isn't possible but wanted to check in case I'm missing something.

#4 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 18 July 2019 - 04:54 PM

Not AFAIK.  It only takes seconds to change the required input so I doubt SS would add anything more to this.

#5 Gavin Bray

Gavin Bray

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:09 PM

Ok, thank you.

#6 NMBob

NMBob

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:48 AM

Not AFAIK.  It only takes seconds to change the required input so I doubt SS would add anything more to this.

I does not take seconds if you have to change encoder counts and things like that. And it really doesn’t take seconds to troubleshoot if you happen to screw up something like entering encoder counts. I think it’s a annoying omission that has been missing, for my stuff, for years. There should be another section with the eyepieces/cameras/etc where you can enter a configuration for mounts, then you just select the one you are using.

Edited by NMBob, 21 July 2019 - 09:49 AM.

• swsantos likes this

#7 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 21 July 2019 - 06:18 PM

I does not take seconds if you have to change encoder counts and things like that. And it really doesn’t take seconds to troubleshoot if you happen to screw up something like entering encoder counts. I think it’s a annoying omission that has been missing, for my stuff, for years. There should be another section with the eyepieces/cameras/etc where you can enter a configuration for mounts, then you just select the one you are using.

I was only going on the Mounts in the database which do take mere seconds.

No experience with mounts not in the DB.

• NMBob likes this

#8 View2

View2

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Vancouver, WA USA

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:38 PM

I'm having the same problem. I have two Scopes to choose from and I cannot display both of them at the same time in SS6 like I used to on the older SkySafari. There's absolutely no setting that I have found to even add the telescopes anymore. I'm thinking about reinstalling my old program again just because of this.

#9 Sean Wood

Sean Wood

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:16 PM

I'm having the same problem. I have two Scopes to choose from and I cannot display both of them at the same time in SS6 like I used to on the older SkySafari. There's absolutely no setting that I have found to even add the telescopes anymore. I'm thinking about reinstalling my old program again just because of this.

Version 6 moved the "equipment" section and the "scope display" under the "observe" button on the lower menu. There was a tutorial on importing the old data from SS5 but it's buried somewhere in the forums by now. You may be able to find it on the SS FAQ or forums. I just re-entered mine over again. You can do it on your device or on your computer via livesky after you get your account setup on your device.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics