•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AZ3 Altitude Motion Very Stiff

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Renmark, Australia

Posted 18 July 2019 - 03:52 AM

G'day, I have a Meade Infinity 80 with the AZ3 mount, and well the Alt motion is very stiff. I know the alt nut is a nyloc so am a bit afraid to touch it, but I've heard some people loosening it a very tiny bit to free up motions. Is this doable at all? Any one got any suggestions? 

Cheers

#2 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Apollo

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:20 AM

I have a couple of AZ3's (underrated mount IMO), you can back off the nyloc nut a touch to ease the motion without introducing slop.

#3 bobhen

bobhen

Gemini

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:18 AM

You can replace the altitude nut with a wing nut. That way you can tighten or loosen the tension in the field without tools.

Bob

#4 Spyke

Spyke

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Scotland

Posted 19 July 2019 - 04:12 PM

I have stripped down and tweaked many of these mounts. Once you bite the the bullet, it is amazingly simple to work on and improve. I didn't bother with wing-nuts, but I did use a good quality lock-nut and was careful to adjust it "just so". But then, I incorporated a counterweight assembly too, which makes life a lot easier on that nut.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics