•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lighting Contractor Brandishes Gun, Threatens Person Complaining About Lights

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 earlyriser

earlyriser

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:02 AM

This is an otherwise ordinary story out of Michigan about the all-to-common occurrence of a business shining lights at their neighbors. However, this quote really caught my attention: "Ellis claims that an employee of Legacy threatened to burn his house down after Ellis complained about what he’s been experiencing. Ellis also says that a lighting contractor showed him his pistol and threatened to kill him after Ellis complained about the lights pointing toward his house."

I hope these guys get what's coming to them.

https://www.whmi.com...t-legacy-center

• Orion68 likes this

#2 PirateMike

PirateMike

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:22 AM

A Doctors Office is my next door neighbor.On july 9th I went over and asked that a certain light be removed or placed a little lower on it's post so that the light emitted will not be able to pass directly over the building and into my bedroom windows. The response has been....

On July 15 a new, more powerful and closer light was being installed on the building.

New Light crop vsmall.jpg

The light was lit up last night, July 17.

Here is what it looks like from my bedroom window just 33 yards away.

LP3vsmall.jpg

The owner lives just a few houses over. What a mean ol' bag she is.!

Edited by csa/montana, 18 July 2019 - 08:21 AM.

• Orion68 likes this

#3 earlyriser

earlyriser

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:16 AM

I agree. She is a mean ol' bag. 

• Orion68 likes this

#4 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 18 July 2019 - 10:00 AM

Since you know the owner; why not simply show her that photo?  She may not realize that this new light is much worse than the old one.  She may have thought she was trying to be helpful.  Without talking directly with her, how would you know her intentions?

• Geo31, PirateMike, Orion68 and 1 other like this

#5 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 18 July 2019 - 11:26 AM

It will be interesting to see how this all turns out. Keep us informed. Hopefully Mr Ellis will not have to resort to the courts, but he seems to have many more problems beyond lights. I guess that those involved don't realize that threatening others with guns and violence can often backfire.

Alas, the concept of "light trespass" as a legal issue differs from place-to-place. It took many years to get New York State's limited anti-LP law into place (and it only applies to state-funded lighting). At one point the Gov 'pocket vetoed' the bill (veto after the Legislative session ended, so they could not over-ride) -- and in his 'veto statement', he said he did not support the idea of "light trespass" - and did not want to see a law that established such - because it would negatively impact "business". To the best of my knowledge, in New York, there still is no such thing as "light trespass" that will hold up in any court.

• Orion68 likes this

#6 earlyriser

earlyriser

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:08 PM

It will be interesting to see how this all turns out. Keep us informed. Hopefully Mr Ellis will not have to resort to the courts, but he seems to have many more problems beyond lights. I guess that those involved don't realize that threatening others with guns and violence can often backfire.

I think Ellis did the right thing by reporting the threats to the police immediately. Now at least it is part of the public record and the police will know who to question first if there are any fires or shootings at the Ellis place. That in and of itself can be a deterrent to the persons making making good on their threats. 

• George N, Orion68 and CeeKay like this

#7 PirateMike

PirateMike

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 19 July 2019 - 05:13 PM

Since you know the owner; why not simply show her that photo?  She may not realize that this new light is much worse than the old one.  She may have thought she was trying to be helpful.  Without talking directly with her, how would you know her intentions?

Hello Carol,

I have spoken with her about the issue of her lighting (a different set of lights at a different time) entering into my bedroom which was affecting my sleep. No changes to the lights were made as she promised on the following "on Monday". The lights are exactly just the way they have always been. (You see, the "first" light that I complained about in my story is actually the second offending light in this history, the newest offending light is actually the third! I predict that when I complain about the most recent light that a fourth light will have to be added to the total. I'd bet $100 on it, the odds are in my favor one this one.)

I have to assume that the lady knows what these lights look like, after all, it is her property, she is the one legally responsible for the actions of those who work for her as well as those which she hires for such jobs as installing illegal lighting. She is responsible for everything concerning the business. If there are things that she is not aware of then that is a case of her own neglect and I have no pity on the poor old soul . If you ask the neighbors around here they would agree with me. Now please don't ask me how I know.

Believe me, she is well known as being a bully and expecting that everyone accept her doings or pay the consequences. She runs rough shot over anyone who questions her self assigned authority. That is her MO.

This is not the United States. The people here did not fight for their freedom from a repressive government. The ones in control were the rich and they made sure the poor remained poor at all costs. Since the US has taken control of the island things have changed a lot but they haven't changed completely. Some people still have the "this is my little Kingdom and everyone must bow down to my will or pay the consequences" syndrome.

The owner of a little grocery store across the street from this ladies pharmacy is the same. He would have me wait at the counter for minutes at a time while he stood there shooting the breeze with some one he knew, acting like he didn't need to attend to me. I fixed him real quick. I would wait for him to finally acknowledge me and when he asked what he could do I would answer him... "I would like you to provide me the same respect and service that you provide to all your other customers, but since you won't I have no choice but to go to someplace else that does. I would then turn around and leave.

After a while I would need to go back, I would face the same disrespect (an quite frankly, hatred of the Gringo) on his part an I would do the same. Eventually he learned that if he wanted my money he would have to treat me as an equal and not some piece of dust. He learned that I could always get my cigarettes someplace else and that his little store wasn't the only one on the block.

So like I said, this isn't the United States. Different things need to be treated differently here until some people transport their thought process to the 20th century. After they get there then we can try to move them into the current century.

It's not so easy here, for some the hatred for the gringos runs deep and "being superior" is more important than just about anything. I find the younger generation to be a lot more "modern", maybe it's the now available American TV and access to the internet that is removing the outdated mindset of the past.

As far as this lady's intentions goes, only she is the one that know for sure. I choose to let the courts make their own determination as to the answer to that particular question based on her actions.

On Monday I am going to complain about the most recent light. Will a new one soon afterwards appear? Only time will tell.

Miguel   8-)

Edited by PirateMike, 19 July 2019 - 08:11 PM.

• BradFran and kksmith like this

#8 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:21 PM

It was only a suggestion.

Now, let's keep the conversation on the topic of LP. smile.gif

• Geo31 likes this

#9 PirateMike

PirateMike

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:02 PM

OK no problem. waytogo.gif

I'll be back if another light appears and I'll keep my comments to a minimum. I'll only include the type of light, the wattage and the distance from my window (as determined by Google Earth) as well as the date of installation and "first light".

Miguel   8-)

Edited by csa/montana, 19 July 2019 - 09:06 PM.

#10 Myk Rian

Myk Rian

Viking 1

• Loc: Hartland, Michigan

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:00 PM

I hope these guys get what's coming to them.

I live 10 miles from there. First time I saw a gun being mentioned.

The Legacy center takes up a lot of acreage. I played senior softball in their inflatable building. Then they built a huge blimp-like hangar building, outdoor ball fields. I can understand the anger over those lights.

Myk

#11 earlyriser

earlyriser

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 July 2019 - 07:56 AM

I live 10 miles from there. First time I saw a gun being mentioned.

The Legacy center takes up a lot of acreage. I played senior softball in their inflatable building. Then they built a huge blimp-like hangar building, outdoor ball fields. I can understand the anger over those lights.

Myk

I'm curious if they are the lights are left on all night, or just when the fields are in use. The parks in my area that have lights normally only have them on if there is a game in progress. 

#12 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 12 August 2019 - 05:39 PM

I think a polite chat first is the way to go. If things are hostile or not helpful, setup wall screens with one side black the other highly reflective. The neighbor can’t complain about reflected light as their lights are what is being reflected. A polite if you turned off or reduced the output of the offending light the problem would be solved. Reasonably simple answer.

#13 Myk Rian

Myk Rian

Viking 1

• Loc: Hartland, Michigan

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:02 PM

Mylar emergency blankets. Olive drab one side, silver the other.

Myk
  • Phil Cowell likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics