•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

It worked!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ilovecomets

ilovecomets

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New England

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:03 PM

I live in a red zone, that’s approaching a white zone with the migration to LED lights everywhere.  Needless to say observing the Deep Sky in my area is not easy, but still doable and rewarding.  Our town has been transitioning to LED and the “gas lamp” light in the front of the house had the lighting replaced with a much brighter LED light.  Well immediately my backyard which has a lot of trees lit up and made observing even more difficult.  So I called the power company who directed me to my town.  I spoke with the DPW and they said they’d see what they could do.  I wasn’t very optimistic of getting a good resolution out of this.  We’ll a couple months later the power company visited and put up a shield for half of the light.  My house is now nice and dark (at least for local light pollution).  I definitely recommend everyone call their town or power company and ask for shielding.  Even if they won’t do it the more people raising this issue will generate feedback which could help for future lighting projects.

• Jon Isaacs, csa/montana, George N and 11 others like this

#2 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:26 PM

Your location says "New England" -- where many (most? all?) states have laws that require shielding of streetlights to prevent light spilling into private yards.

However, as you found out, you need to complain -- otherwise the law will be ignored.

Anyway -- I'm glad that it 'worked' for you. Enjoy your 'new sky'!

#3 ilovecomets

ilovecomets

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New England

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:28 PM

Your location says "New England" -- where many (most? all?) states have laws that require shielding of streetlights to prevent light spilling into private yards.

However, as you found out, you need to complain -- otherwise the law will be ignored.

Anyway -- I'm glad that it 'worked' for you. Enjoy your 'new sky'!

Thanks.  I’m in Massachusetts and honestly thought it would take years to get this done if at all.  Pretty much everyone I spoke to said I needed to speak with someone else.  So the takeaway is be persistent.

• Jon Isaacs and Orion68 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics