•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bought my first bino on CN from Denis

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Timmo

Timmo

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:09 PM

So I took the plunge and decided to buy a Carl Zeiss bino from Denis. Living in South Africa it is a HUGE leap of faith to order things online from another country.

GIven that Denis is a very active member on this forum and he has some excellent reviews from other buyers, I decided to buy from him.

The order was completed in minimal time and payment was made. Bank fees are horrendous so I my suggestion to other wishing to buy, is to use PayPal instead. In my case the banks took 5% on my side and Denis' bank also took about  5%. PayPal is 5% only.

By the time payment reflected on his side the unit was supercharged and ready for airmail. Courier fees to Africa are insane! They really do hate us :(. We had to settle on prioritised airmail instead. That said once mailed it took about 3 weeks to reach SA due to various connecting flights. Once in SA it got stuck at customs. After about 3 weeks(!!!) it was finally cleared and I went to pick it up directly from the mail centre at Joburg airport.

**** what a huge parcel! Opening it, it was cushioned with various layers of bubble wrap and papers until finally I found the bino! What a heavy beast. Build like a tank :)

I ordered the unit with the Baader Clicklock system. This works like a charm! It also prevents a zoom lens from rotating when one zooms in/out. However diopter adjustments can still be made using the small ring just below the EP. That said, if the EP is big (such as my Baader Hyperion Mk 3) it is difficult to reach the diopter ring. So my plan is to purchase 2x Baader Hyperion Mk 4. They are 55mm diameter and will fit perfectly at the lowest IDP rating of 55mm.

For South Africans who plan to order from Denis, I found a link to a company called Postbox Couriers that expedite the delivery of parcels from overseas down to about 5 days!!! They are at https://www.postbox-courier.com/

Thanks Denis...awesome service mate! Will definitely buy soon again from you.

Ciao

Tim

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190717_180935.jpg

• vkhastro1, Jeff B, Reid W and 6 others like this

#2 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • Loc: Umag, Croatia, Europe

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:25 PM

Hi Tim,

it was really my pleasure to deal with you, and I am very happy when owners of binoviewers I made, are happy!
Thats what feed me, and still pushing to continuing that stuff!

Welcome to happy club of Carl Zeiss binoviewers owners!

I am sure you will enjoy in it, many nights, and days!

All best and clear skies Tim!
Denis from Croatia

#3 vkhastro1

vkhastro1

Apollo

• Loc: Vankleek Hill, Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:42 AM

Great choice !

I thoroughly enjoy my “supercharged” Zeiss and Leica binoviwers from Denis.

Be prepared for some amazing views.

• denis0007dl likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics