•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Viewfinder repair

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GHartt

GHartt

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:40 PM

Last night I got my viewfinder dialed in and aligned perfectly using the culmination screws. After I got it aligned, all the screws appeared to be touching the scope so I ASSUMED (incorrectly) that it had a good grip. Lowered the scope to put it away for the night and out dropped the view finder. At first I thought it was done for, but all the lenses are good. Nothing broke, but the lenses did fall out of their cases. So I have been searching for a diagram of the viewfinder to see if I can repair it and put it back together correctly. Anyone know where to find one? It's a Meade 8x50mm. Attached a photo of all the parts.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5.jpg

#2 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:01 PM

Annotation 2019-07-18 144949.jpg

Well, the lens is a Kellner design.

Kellner_1849.png

Thus the small lens element (1.) goes in first and the less concave faces the eye. 

The larger lens (2.) also has its side with the most concavity facing the first lens. 

Between the lenses there is a spacer (3.) and a second spacer inserted after the large lens (4.)

Then comes the cross hairs (5.). I think the wire side goes in first. 

Last is 6 which is a plug that either thread in, is a press fit. A little plastic model cement will help retain it.

Edited by Geo., 18 July 2019 - 02:03 PM.

• cookjaiii and EdIII like this

#3 GHartt

GHartt

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 July 2019 - 03:05 PM

Awesome. Thanks for taking the time to do that Geo. I appreciate your help.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics