•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NOW AVAILABLE Pegasus Ultimate Powerbox v2

astrophotography imaging
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 evansg

evansg

PegasusAstro

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Athens, Greece

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:44 PM

Pegasus Astro is pleased to announce the availability of the Ultimate Powerbox v2

Ultimate Powerbox v2 (UPBv2 in short) is the successor of our renowned Ultimate Powerbox. You asked for more features, we kept our promise:

A USB3.1 Hub has been added -you can switch on/off each USB port –, more power outputs, more dew heaters, α new stepper controller that can drive any stepper motor in the astronomy market as well as an expansion ports for future devices that will communicate with the UPBv2 Controller!

For detailed information: https://pegasusastro...te-powerbox-v2/

Ultimate Powerbox v2 quick glance:

4 x 12V Smart Outputs,
3 x PWM duty cycle channels for your Dew Heaters or Flatpanel / Fans
a USB3.1  SuperSpeed, 5 Gbit/s Industrial Grade Powered Hub that includes 4 x USB3.1 and 2 x USB2 available ports (6 USB ports in total)
a Unipolar / Bipolar Stepper Motor Controller
a Variable / Regulated Output of 3Amps
a 12V / always ON Output
Environmental & Power readings
In a compact size with plenty of features!

upbv2_1-1-1024x701.jpg

upbv2_2-1024x715.jpg

upbv2_drw.jpg

Edited by evansg, 18 July 2019 - 02:47 PM.

• George N, Phil Cowell, psandelle and 5 others like this

#2 psandelle

psandelle

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 19 July 2019 - 03:38 PM

Question (and this looks very cool): when you discuss the variable power plugs (which are the blue RCA-type plugs?) and flatpanels, I never attached my Flatmans/Flatmen to a variable power outlet in the past. Could I do that with this box and is that any different than plugging them into the non-variable outlet?

Thanks,

Paul

#3 evansg

evansg

PegasusAstro

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Athens, Greece

Posted 25 July 2019 - 09:51 AM

The RCA Outlets are the PWM Duty cycle % power outputs and you can control their power % by our software.

You can easily connect a flatbox or your telescope's fans there. 

The variable port is a different port (named ADJ OUT)

Question (and this looks very cool): when you discuss the variable power plugs (which are the blue RCA-type plugs?) and flatpanels, I never attached my Flatmans/Flatmen to a variable power outlet in the past. Could I do that with this box and is that any different than plugging them into the non-variable outlet?

Thanks,

Paul

• psandelle likes this

#4 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:22 AM

The RCA Outlets are the PWM Duty cycle % power outputs and you can control their power % by our software.

You can easily connect a flatbox or your telescope's fans there. 

The variable port is a different port (named ADJ OUT)

Well done playing with mine it just arrived. Works really well as a compliment to an Intel Skull Canyon NUC.

#5 Kaydubbed

Kaydubbed

Vostok 1

• Loc: Kansas City, Missouri

Posted 29 July 2019 - 02:27 PM

Mine is arriving today. I was really hoping INDI drivers would have been ready by now, but I know how it goes. I've seen some stock photos of the device package [DC cables, proprietary power cord, temp dongle] showing one bracket being included, but I also see 'Items included' as not including the bracket. I'm hoping I get at least one little bracket!

I am looking forward to my biggest pre-capture time suck being eliminated...cable management.

#6 Kaydubbed

Kaydubbed

Vostok 1

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:48 PM

Sad to say that my first light with the UPBv2 resulted in a burning smell and a dead on arrival unit. I spent two hours recabling, plugged in my camera, Focuser, FW, and mount. It worked for a few minutes, disconnected, and died. I'm just happy my G11T wasn't switched on.

I probably won't be an early adopter of astro equipment in the future. I'll be getting an RMA because I really want this device, but needless to say I'm disappointed.

#7 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

• Loc: Houston

Posted 07 September 2019 - 07:54 AM

Sad to say that my first light with the UPBv2 resulted in a burning smell and a dead on arrival unit. I spent two hours recabling, plugged in my camera, Focuser, FW, and mount. It worked for a few minutes, disconnected, and died. I'm just happy my G11T wasn't switched on.

I probably won't be an early adopter of astro equipment in the future. I'll be getting an RMA because I really want this device, but needless to say I'm disappointed.

Got any updates on your situation? I just ordered one as I'm looking forward to getting rid of several boxes (focus controller, dew controller, USB Hub) in favor of this one.

#8 deepanshu29

deepanshu29

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:12 PM

Same thing just happened with me. I have my Intel NUC (model #NUC8i3BEK) mounted on my UPB v2 and I needed to update some of my software on NUC. I powered up UPB v2 with my LiFePO4 12Ah battery (it was around 13.8v) as usual, NUC was connected on always ON 12V port. Other 12V ports, USB ports were all disconnected on UPB v2. Environmental sensor was connected. I was just working on NUC, then I heard a pop sound from inside UPB v2, and thick smoke came out. I immediately unplugged the battery, but it was too late. UPB v2 is dead. I had purchased UPB v2 not only for cable management but also to optimize my rig in order to travel. I travel frequently to dark skies which are at least 2 hour drive away from my apartment. 

Something like this happening in field can ruin the entire trip. I was also planning to go to a star party at end of this month but I don't get the replacement before that, I won't be able to go. It essentially became a $700 product which failed ($600 for the UPB, and about $90 for the mounting hardware). Extremely disappointed. Have reached out to Evans and waiting for his response. 

#9 Kaydubbed

Kaydubbed

Vostok 1

Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:57 PM

I got an RMA from AgenaAstro. Love those guys.

I haven't taken it out much since I'm running INDI now and the driver is still new. It works, but I can't get the focuser to work (Moonlite) but it is unclear if this is an INDI problem or a UPBv2 issue.

Very interesting that I wasn't the only one this happened to. I really thought my homemade DB9 to RJ45 cable I made from a Cisco console cable could have done it but I was told by Pegasus Astro this isn't possible.
  • deepanshu29 likes this

#10 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:13 AM

Did you end up replacing the cable for your Moonlite? Pegasus makes a cable for it, so I got that, the power box and their A/C power adapter. Should be here Monday. I’ll be using it with INDI as well.

#11 deepanshu29

deepanshu29

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:03 AM

Evans responded in 20 minutes, that's the quickest response I have ever gotten from a vendor/product developer. Hopefully will get a replacement unit soon and can still go to the star party! Will post back once sorted out. 

#12 Kaydubbed

Kaydubbed

Vostok 1

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:51 AM

Did you end up replacing the cable for your Moonlite? Pegasus makes a cable for it, so I got that, the power box and their A/C power adapter. Should be here Monday. I’ll be using it with INDI as well.

Yes I use the Moonlite/RoboFocus cable offered from PA.

#13 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:59 PM

Yes I use the Moonlite/RoboFocus cable offered from PA.

Did you record and submit any logs for the developers over on the INDI forum to take a look? That might be one way to tell what the issue is. Assuming the pinout on the cable is correct, it would have to be a driver issue, unless the hardware is bad.

#14 Kaydubbed

Kaydubbed

Vostok 1

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:55 AM

Did you record and submit any logs for the developers over on the INDI forum to take a look? That might be one way to tell what the issue is. Assuming the pinout on the cable is correct, it would have to be a driver issue, unless the hardware is bad.

I haven't had time to personally submit logs, but there are a few known issues and a few possible hardware issues. You can follow it here.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics