•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My travel setup :-)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Konihlav

Konihlav

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 18 July 2019 - 04:23 PM

As some of you know me... I do not make compromises :-) I like the best always... for having great astro images and results...

so I managed to return to Chile, after 9 years, this time with a FSQ-85 and ASI094 riding on an iOptron iEQ45Pro mount (in 2010 I had Borg77 with G3-11000beta that time riding on HEQ-5)...

some picture of my setup:

1563484447d.jpg

BTW the tripod is custom made, cost me some 1000 USD. I bought the 60mm dia, 2m long carbon tube from a local german company... (283 EUR).

:-)

it may take some (a lot of) time before I manage to post process the images. I had spent 10 wonderful nights in the Chilean desert places... (captured data for 8 + 4 images + 4 videos/timelapses). This is more than I make in Europe in 2 years...

cs

Pavel

• Stelios, buckeyestargazer, R Botero and 9 others like this

#2 2ghouls

2ghouls

Viking 1

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:10 PM

Hi Pavel, 

Sounds like a great setup! Did you take all your gear in your luggage on the plane?

I would like to make a trip like this some day!

Cheers, Nico

#3 tkottary

tkottary

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Jose,CA

Posted 18 July 2019 - 11:50 PM

Thanks for sharing the setup . Hopefully for the next chile trip I will take a regular scope instead of lens :) How did  you power the mount and camera?  

#4 Konihlav

Konihlav

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 July 2019 - 02:37 AM

Nico, yes, I had two checked-in baggages, both over 23,5kg (allowed 23) and completely on limit carry on (FSQ + all cameras). In total I had 47+10 kg of astroequipment. 1 kg of clothing. Could be bought in Santiago.

In Chile, I typically buy the counter weight (5kg was for 9.900 CLP) ~ 15 EUR (the ordinary weight). When leaving back to EU I just left the weight in a local boxing club :-) as a present (along with my friends two weights).

tkottary: I just bought the car battery there in Chile, and of course, had left it there (with the car rental company). It cost some 32.000 CLP ~ some 44 EURo. Some price you have to pay extra, to be able to get things in place, like my custom made tripod (total weight 5.5kg but it handles 200kg of load without problem).

BTW I charged the extra car battery during night (started car) and used that power also during the day for recharging various equipment.

in Chile (2010):

http://blog.astrofot...elynabijeci.jpg

at home:

http://blog.astrofot...tupinaction.jpg

• elmiko, tkottary and 2ghouls like this

#5 avarakin

avarakin

Vanguard

• Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:39 PM

Hi Pavel,

Can you tell more about the CF tube? What is the wall thickness of it?

Alex

#6 Konihlav

Konihlav

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:57 AM

Alex: it's this one: https://www.carbonsc...-hochglanz.html

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics