•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sales tax on out of state Lunt Purchase?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 18 July 2019 - 04:51 PM

I live in Texas and when I put something in my shopping cart at Lunt, it added about 9% sales tax.

Does that sound right? 

#2 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:04 PM

Ok, Lunt says that they now charge sales tax for about 15 states, and Texas is one of them.  So it goes....

Edited by Eddgie, 18 July 2019 - 05:18 PM.

#3 siriusandthepup

siriusandthepup

Apollo

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:14 PM

8.25% sales tax for Austin.

6.25% state sales tax plus 2% Austin city sales tax.

Edited by siriusandthepup, 18 July 2019 - 05:14 PM.

#4 Sleep Deprived

Sleep Deprived

Vostok 1

• Loc: Seattle Area

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:35 PM

About 6 months ago, I noticed that Paypal automatically adds10% (!!!) to everything I buy using them, for sales tax in my part of WA state.  On EVERYTHING, even if it is a non-taxable item.  Sooooo, I only pay for small things with Paypal now, and ask if I can pay with a check otherwise.  So far, it has worked.  Astronomy related:  Last week, I bought something from OPT (California) and they did not charge sales tax.  A month ago (-ish), I bought from Astronomics, and no tax.  Every government entity out there is hurting for $$$ (insert political rant here), and I expect this is the new normal.

Clear skies!

#5 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:36 PM

Yes, I know what the sales tax is for Texas, I just did not know that Lunt would charge it because they are in Arizona.  They said it is because they are now selling through Amazon, so they have to collect sales tax on Texas sales (and 15 other states). 

It was just a big surprise because it really raises the price on a piece of used gear (which is what I was looking at buying).  It is still a reasonable deal, but it is much less attractive because of the hefty sales tax.  

Edited by Eddgie, 18 July 2019 - 05:38 PM.

#6 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:05 PM

Welcome to my world. Pennsylvania has been charging it for quite a while now.

#7 jwestervelt

jwestervelt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:36 PM

Texas... Taxes...  what's the difference?  lol.gif

#8 petert913

petert913

Soyuz

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:46 PM

Oregon = zero......for now.

#9 bigdob24

bigdob24

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:17 PM

No tax for IL either?

#10 dscarpa

dscarpa

Skylab

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:05 AM

Your sales tax is about the same a mine. I got my sale  bought Coronado 90 III DS BF15 from Astronomics and wasn't charged sales tax. I didn't ask if it would be the same with  Lunt. I also got a $250 Cloudy Nights discount  so the scope cost me $5,000. I use CN so much I wanted to give them a big sale instead of OPT for a change. Also OPT dropped their rewards program discount, bad move OPT. David 

Edited by dscarpa, 19 July 2019 - 10:11 AM.

#11 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:35 AM

I would repeat what Lunt told me.

For direct sale (buying directly from Lunt in Tucson) or buying from Lunt through Amazon, there are 15 states that Lunt will now have to collect sales taxes from.

Most Lunt dealers do not charge any sales tax on any of their out of state sales, so if you buy a Lunt from an out of state dealer, just like with Meade, you would not pay any sales tax.

According to the person I spoke to at Lunt, they said this policy is something that became necessary only because they now sell their telescopes through Amazon. 

So, best to buy from an out of state dealer that does not charge sales taxes, but the problem is that many of these dealers do not stock all of the various scopes and combinations.

Edited by Eddgie, 19 July 2019 - 10:40 AM.

#12 bobhen

bobhen

Gemini

Posted 19 July 2019 - 11:14 AM

Try Woodland Hills Camera and Telescope. They carry Lunt and can have stock on-hand. Worth a shot.

Bob

#13 dscarpa

dscarpa

Skylab

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 19 July 2019 - 01:04 PM

It would be easy  enough for a dealer to order a scope you wanted from Lunt  if they didn't have it in stock.  Astronomics said they  made sure the scope they sent me was shipped from OK not Meade's headquarters.   The Lunt 100 BF1200  shown on their site is about $200 less than the one at OPT and I'm assuming that's before the CN discount. David 

Edited by dscarpa, 19 July 2019 - 01:07 PM.

#14 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 19 July 2019 - 01:33 PM

I am actually fine.  I bought form Lunt, but the problem is that I bought a "gently used" scope and by the time you add sales tax, the savings over a new scope really narrow down.   Still, I saved some money and got the 5 year warranty, but the scope bought had a BF1200 and the Feathertouch, and (when taxes are included) it was not much cheaper than a new Lunt 80 with BF1200 and standard Crayford. 

This is where it will really bite.   People living in the 15 affected states) buying used will have to agonize over the decision to buy used and pay the sales tax, or just buy a brand new scope from a dealer. 

So, while I saved a little money, after paying the taxes, I would say that it was much less of a "good deal" than it would have been without the taxes.  I very seriously considered spending more money on a new LS80Tha with 18mm blocking filter rather than the feathertouch and the B1200.  It was a very difficult decision, but since I am really only visual, in the end, I took the discount and Feathertouch and swallowed hard at the sales tax. 

I had not intended to double stack the scope, but they also had a DSII so I went ahead and got it, and if I don't like it or feel that I really just don't want to be bothered with the extra complexity, the good news is I have 30 days to return it.. I had turned down a better deal on an 80 with DSII because of the negative reviews regarding reflections, and if I had bought from a private seller, I would not really have been able to return the DSII, but at least this way, while it cost me a bit more, at least I know that I have the return option, and while the price (with taxes) was not that great when taxes were included, if I have problems with reflections, I can sell it, or if I decide that I made a mistake and should go to the 60DS or 100SS, I have that option as well.

So, not a lot of savings, but more options and a full warranty.   Without the taxes though, it would have been a much better feeling deal.   

Edited by Eddgie, 19 July 2019 - 01:35 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics