•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PVS-7 Enthusiasts Rejoice. White Phosphor Tubes are Available

equipment NV
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jdbastro

jdbastro

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: F'd up Sanctuary State

Posted 19 July 2019 - 03:04 AM

Two years ago (summer 2017) a handful of unfilmed P45 (white phosphor) MX10130 tubes appeared on the market care of Night Vision, Inc (Glynn Sziraki’s company).  These were the first P45 tubes that I had ever heard of for the PVS-7 bi-ocular NV housing.  The batch of five tubes sold fairly quickly and since then no more have popped up on the market (as far as I’m aware).

But recently, during a phone call to NV Devices, I was told by Tim Snyder that the company had mistakenly purchased a batch of P45 Harris thin-filmed MX10130 tubes.  The tubes are what NV Devices calls ‘Mil Grade’, not Mil Spec.  They have about a dozen in stock and most are rated WHP+ (white high performance, i.e. PR>=2200, SNR>25, minimal dark spots).

I bought one two weeks ago and tried it out in a PVS-7B/D housing with a 5X prime Catadioptric objective.  I was enough impressed with the view that I ordered a 2nd tube and just got it today.  This one is equally impressive in a PVS-7A/C with a 3X prime objective.

One thing I’ve noticed with these tubes is that they produce sharper bright stars vs the latest shipping unfilmed tubes.  The unflimed tubes show bright stars with more diffuse centers surrounded by a less transparent halo.  The latest thin-film tubes maintain the look of sharp bright stars with more transparent halos.

Another nice feature of the new Harris tubes is that they have an upgraded auto-gating power supply that is now quiet, just like the L3 auto-gated supplies.  The somewhat annoying high pitched whine is gone.

These new P45 10130 tubes have a part # of:  F9410SLH.  The ‘H’ in the part # refers to the new quiet auto-gated pwr supply (vs. ‘G’ in earlier tubes).

Harris Gen 3 Thin-filmed White Phosphor PVS-7 Image Intensifier Tube

The price on these tubes from NV Devices is about $1K less than what the 2017 unfilmed batch were selling for at the time.  So they are more affordable than those.

If you’ve been hoping to upgrade or try out a PVS-7 and you love white phosphor, this is your chance to get the NV system you’ve been waiting for.

Cheers, and happy shopping!

-J

Edited by jdbastro, 19 July 2019 - 03:06 AM.

• moshen, Starman81, Joko and 5 others like this

#2 Gavster

Gavster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 July 2019 - 04:21 AM

Interesting to hear that bright stars are sharper with these filmed tubes compared with the latest unfilmed tubes. I think Eddgie has also noticed this with his filmed and unfilmed tubes.

• GeezerGazer likes this

#3 GeezerGazer

GeezerGazer

Viking 1

• Loc: Modesto, CA

Posted 19 July 2019 - 12:49 PM

Interesting to hear that bright stars are sharper with these filmed tubes compared with the latest unfilmed tubes. I think Eddgie has also noticed this with his filmed and unfilmed tubes.

Yes, Eddgie has said many times that his thin filmed tubes do show tighter star images.  Makes me want to get one to see the difference!  lol.gif

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 19 July 2019 - 02:30 PM

Congrats on the new PVS-7 tube.  

I was interested in your belief that you are seeing brighter, sharper stars in the thin filmed tubes but as I recall, you where the one that first reported to me that you did not think the filmless P45 was as good on point sources as the P43 thin filmed tubes.

Maybe I am wrong about that recollection though, but I could have sworn that I asked you about that in a PM.  And of course when I had the chance to compared a high performance F9800VG spec tube to my best L3 filmless P45 tubes, it only took one look for me to reach that same conclusion.  Maybe it was not you though, but I am almost positive that we had that dialog. 

Anyway, congrats.  I sold my PVS-7 Able and don't intend to replace it with another one, but for people that really want to use both eyes and think green is yucky, it is good to know that they have a P45 option. 

#5 11769

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: TX

Posted 19 July 2019 - 03:06 PM

Nice update.

Will need to do a side by side comparison with a filmless tube and a good thin film tube. Now that I think about it, stars may have appeared "better" with a green thin film tube. 

#6 jdbastro

jdbastro

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 July 2019 - 04:59 PM

Nice update.

Will need to do a side by side comparison with a filmless tube and a good thin film tube. Now that I think about it, stars may have appeared "better" with a green thin film tube. 

Based on my latest experience with these new P45 (white) Harris/Excelis thin-film tubes, they also produce sharper bright stars at low magnification (3X and 5X at least) than the latest crop of unfilmed tubes (green or white unfilmed).

Haven't had a chance to try my new P45's at a really dark site, yet, though.  Prior experience has shown that at low mag, terrestrial views (e.g. trees in the forest) are cleaner (less hazy) in the unfilmed tubes vs thin-filmed.  For this reason, typical NV users (hunters, military) prefer the unfilmed tubes.

Edited by jdbastro, 19 July 2019 - 05:00 PM.

#7 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:47 PM

Based on my latest experience with these new P45 (white) Harris/Excelis thin-film tubes, they also produce sharper bright stars at low magnification (3X and 5X at least) than the latest crop of unfilmed tubes (green or white unfilmed).

Haven't had a chance to try my new P45's at a really dark site, yet, though.  Prior experience has shown that at low mag, terrestrial views (e.g. trees in the forest) are cleaner (less hazy) in the unfilmed tubes vs thin-filmed.  For this reason, typical NV users (hunters, military) prefer the unfilmed tubes.

So there you have it - an unfilmed tube for nebula, a filmed tube for clusters.

Now all I have to do is cough up the money for a second tube lol.gif

• cnoct likes this

#8 jdbastro

jdbastro

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 July 2019 - 02:29 AM

Just thought that I would add some pics of the PVS-7A/C model that I am using with one of these P45 image tubes.

This model has a Litton 3X/f.3 prime NV lens fitted with a custom front slip-on filter adapter.  Filter size is 62mm.  This lens is really sharp for its fast f ratio.

PVS-7A/C Bi-ocular with Litton 3X/f1.3 NV Lens

PVS-7A/C Bi-ocular with Litton 3X/f1.3 NV Lens - Side View

The objective lens has the same optical stack as this Litton lens (intended for the PVS-18, PVS-15 & M944), but with a different rear focusing / attachment section specific to the A/C body.

Litton 3X Objective (75mm/f1.3) for Litton M944/M942 & ITT 6010 monoculars

I got the PVS-7A/C 3X/f1.3 lens from Nightline, Inc.

• Starman81 and Vondragonnoggin like this

#9 jdbastro

jdbastro

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:05 PM

This model has a Litton 3X/f.3 prime NV lens fitted with a custom front slip-on filter adapter. ...

Should have stated the f # as f1.3.  Sorry about that.

#10 np3c

np3c

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Alexandria, VA.

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:47 AM

Quoted me $2250 on tube.

#11 jdbastro

jdbastro

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:19 PM

Quoted me $2250 on tube.

Is that P+ or HP+ performance grade?

Edited by jdbastro, 24 July 2019 - 05:04 PM.

#12 np3c

np3c

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Alexandria, VA.

Posted 25 July 2019 - 06:47 PM

Is that P+ or HP+ performance grade?

The same one you listed.  But looking at the videos of your Tak Mewlon w/ Photonis 4G Intensifier, I'm having second thoughts. I love the Candy Apple Green Shade:) Respectfully Steve

Edited by np3c, 25 July 2019 - 07:35 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, NV

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics