•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQ6-AZ VS CGX

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hongxu chen

hongxu chen

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 July 2019 - 04:24 AM

Hi all,
I was planing to upgrade my HEQ5 to EQ6-AZ. BUT I found a great price used CGX. Has anyone compared those two before? Looking forward your suggestions!

Edited by hongxu chen, 19 July 2019 - 04:25 AM.

#2 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:10 PM

Unless you really want to use the Alt/Az function of the EQ6-AZ, I would actually recommend going with the EQ6-R over either of the other two.

#3 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:48 AM

Hi all,
I was planing to upgrade my HEQ5 to EQ6-AZ. BUT I found a great price used CGX. Has anyone compared those two before? Looking forward your suggestions!

Main question IMO is will it be used for AP or visual?

#4 hongxu chen

hongxu chen

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:37 AM

Main question IMO is will it be used for AP or visual?

AP. I was using HEQ5 for viewing before. Is it still good for AP?

#5 hongxu chen

hongxu chen

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:40 AM

Unless you really want to use the Alt/Az function of the EQ6-AZ, I would actually recommend going with the EQ6-R over either of the other two.

The seller told me AZ/equatorial is more stable than equatorial along. Is that true?

#6 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 21 July 2019 - 02:19 AM

The AZEQ6 mount is no more stable than the standard equatorial configuration.  It simply costs more.  In addition, there is no performance benefit of the AZEQ6 over the EQ6-R (or the EQ6).  The only reason to go with the more expensive AZEQ6 is if you really want to do visual observing and you prefer to do that in Alt/Az mode.

#7 tonyt

tonyt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 21 July 2019 - 03:14 AM

IMO, the AZ-EQ6 is the best of the EQ6 style mounts due to its lower weight and better altitude adjuster.

If weight isn't an issue, the CGX is better than the EQ6 style mounts due to the spring loaded worms.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics