•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is this TAK in good conditions?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Fukinagashi

Fukinagashi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 19 July 2019 - 05:10 AM

I don't know if, just from pictures, it's possible to determine if optics are in good conditions or not.

In case anyone could tell me about this?

Attached Thumbnails

• opt01.jpg
  • opt02.jpg
  • opt03.jpg
  • opt04.jpg
  • opt05.jpg

Edited by Fukinagashi, 19 July 2019 - 05:13 AM.

#2 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 19 July 2019 - 05:15 AM

Seems fine to me, just normal dust and such.

• Fukinagashi and agmoonsolns like this

#3 gunny01

gunny01

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:20 AM

Sounds like you bought this second hand?  Pictures won't tell the true story when it comes to optics/collimation and  especially the focuser.  Way too many of the focusers for the 106 were cr$p from the get go and I ought to know.  I sent mine back to tnr under warranty and got screwed on the deal.  Supposedly, the warranty doesn't cover the labor (they don't tell you this BTW).  I had close to a $500 bill by the time it was done.   It works fine now, but what the hell gives with qc at tak?

You might be fortunate and have a winner, but the only true way to know is the images.  You may have to replace the focuser in time, so look forward to $1200-$3800 for a replacement focuser.   To add insult to injury, tak will not honor their cr$ppy warranty if you replace the focuser.  If you end up replacing the focuser, don't sell or junk the original.  Tak did a real number on customers and I'll never buy another one of their products.  I have had two fsq's and a toa150 in the past and really liked the tak stuff.  Not any more.

• Starsareus likes this

#4 Fukinagashi

Fukinagashi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:31 AM

Sounds like you bought this second hand?

Not already bought but yes, it is used. It comes with the a FTF3515 as a replacement of the stock fok (also in the batch).

Attached Thumbnails

• tak106.jpg

#5 gunny01

gunny01

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:18 AM

You should be good to go then with the Starlight focuser. Excellent.  I'm replacing mine with a Nitecrawler.  Did you get the original focuser in the deal?  If you didn't, you might want to try and retrieve it as added insurance.  

The optics on mine is great and you should be able to turn out some great images.  I just got a burr under my saddle with the other stuff and tak's attitude toward their customers.  BTW, tak just increased the price to well over $6k and you might have made a good investment.

#6 Fukinagashi

Fukinagashi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:27 AM

Did you get the original focuser in the deal?

Yes. I wouldn't ever buy a tak without its stock focuser!

Edited by Fukinagashi, 19 July 2019 - 05:04 PM.

• gunny01 likes this

#7 Kevin McCarthy

Kevin McCarthy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Surrey/UK

Posted 20 July 2019 - 03:27 AM

It's not possible to determine if the optics are good from photographs. You need a close up inspection and some observing or imaging assesing the inner and outer focus rings.....

There are no short cuts to working out if the optics are good you need a known good scope to compare it too, someone who can evaluate the optics visually or have it checked out buy a dealer.

As it's a quadruple that's four lens that need to be working as they should. I don't doubt that anyone who would invest the money required to purchase this kind off scope wouldn't take anything but the best possible care of it but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be checked out.

Good luck.

Edited by Kevin McCarthy, 20 July 2019 - 03:30 AM.

• Fukinagashi likes this

#8 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:50 AM

Have you had it out and used it yet.  You will not know if everything is properly aligned until then.

#9 Fukinagashi

Fukinagashi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:50 AM

Negotiation seems to be stalled. Very strange to me...

#10 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:53 AM

where is the scope located?

#11 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:13 PM

Negotiation seems to be stalled. Very strange to me...

Usually these endeavors = RED FLAG.

If not purchasing in person, use Paypal (goods & service option!)

#12 Fukinagashi

Fukinagashi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2019 - 02:20 PM

where is the scope located?

Italy.

https://www.astrosel...o.php?Id=109221

#13 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 21 July 2019 - 02:25 PM

well at least you are both in the same country.  That helps a lot.  Is it to far to go look at the scope?

#14 Fukinagashi

Fukinagashi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:26 AM

well at least you are both in the same country.  That helps a lot.  Is it to far to go look at the scope?

Well something is moving. Probably I will meet the guy next Monday for visual inspection and buy.

Hope to be able to make a star test next Tuesday (before holidays).

Is there a guide for proper star testing? I see the many use CCDInspector: is this worth the money or may I avoid using it?

Edited by Fukinagashi, 23 July 2019 - 07:41 AM.

• Esso2112 likes this

#15 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

• Loc: PDX, OR.

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:19 PM

As far as can be determined from photos, and to me these important before I buy, I'd say the front objective looks well looked after, no damage to coatings or bad looking stuff on the lens.  I know I posted in the other thread it looks like an imagers dream scope with the FeatherTouch focuser.  I have bought more than one expensive used scope based on similar type pictures.  Sold many that way as well.

So as answer to question as posed, it looks in good condition to me.

As far as star testing.  I think unless you are well versed and experienced doing it, that is a mistake.  Way too many ways to make a mistake starting with viewing conditions - I only try on better / best nights that support highest reasonable powers.  Same for CCD inspector and everything imaging related.  A far better approach is to look at the last raw FITS images taken through the scope - FITS files are date time stamped in the FITS header and though its possible to change / edit I'd hope nothing that nefarious going on.

• payner likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics