•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C-6 needs different finder scope

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Barrington, Illinois

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:21 AM

So my C-6 XLT and Twilight 1 are in and set up.  I think this is going to be a great combination for G&G along with my MOD3 night vision equipment, but why Celestron even bothers to put that awful 6/30 is besides me. I suppose I could put a Telrad on it, but would really like a RACI. Should I bite the bullet and just order the 9X50 from Orion (with SC bracket) or ???

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:44 AM

I'm cheap, so my solution was to find an inexpensive right angle 6x30 from Orion and use it in place of the original straight through 6x30. Not a full RACI but at least my back is happier. Occasionally when I'm looking for something tough and I'm in manual alt az mode I'll swap an right angle 8x50 onto my C6 but generally the little 6x30 does a reasonable enough job ... and if not then it's time to pull out the goto mount.

#3 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Messenger

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:48 AM

Put a dual bracket on it with the 9X50 RACI and a green laser.  You will be in heaven, forever!

#4 Jim4321

Jim4321

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Asheville

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:24 AM

Or go to the Orion website, and order the 9x50 RACI and SCT shoe.  I've accumulated a C5, C6, C8, and C9.25 over the years, and each now has at least one Synta-style shoe (the 9.25 has 3).  I have two of these finders that I can move to whichever scope I'm using.  The Celestron finder is a clunky, overweight thing that I regret wasting my money on.

Jim H.

#5 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:50 PM

I have the Orion 9x50 right angle finder scope mounted to my Dob. It works pretty well, but the attached eyepiece is tiny and kind of difficult for me to use. A much better finder [my humble opinion] is the Stellarvue 9x50. It comes with a 23mm reticle eyepiece with illumination port. It's more expensive than the Orion, and you would have to get mounting rings, but you would be set for life. I got the straight thru 80mm [F080M3] for my LX90, and it's practically a small achromatic refractor. It was much larger than I expected. The 60mm would have been more practical, but I'm happy with what I got.  

#6 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 19 July 2019 - 11:27 PM

I attached two Synta shoes to my C6.  In addition, I attached an Orion 6x30 RACI to the OTA with a low-rise bracket. 

I don't like the original Orion bracket for the 6x30.  Their bracket is too tall.  I don't know what they were thinking when they designed that thing. 

I have the Orion dual finder bracket, which I use on my 10" Dob, but I think it sets the finders up too high for a Cat or refractor.  I don't like having to rise up from my seat to look through the finder.

So I have the 6x30 RACI plus my choice of another finder on either side.  

For good measure, there's also a Rigel QuickFinder base on the OTA.  I think I have all the bases covered now, plus the outfield.

grin.gif

Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• C6 Left Side.JPG
  • C6 Right Side.JPG
  • C6 Above.JPG

Edited by Sarkikos, 19 July 2019 - 11:51 PM.

• rkelley8493 likes this

#7 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 19 July 2019 - 11:39 PM

For observing in the suburbs, my favorite finder combination is a small 6x30 RACI and a laser finder.  Get in the neighborhood with the laser, star hop with the RACI.  

I don't do goto.  Goto slows me down.

Mike

#8 doug mc

doug mc

Viking 1

• Loc: Tamborine Mountain Australia

Posted 19 July 2019 - 11:47 PM

Yes. Laser plus a right angle finder. Locate bliss.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20181202_094551-1-733x426.jpg

• Sarkikos likes this

#9 Traveler

Traveler

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 20 July 2019 - 03:34 AM

The Baader SkySurfer III is a nice red dot finder.I use it on my C8.

• Sarkikos likes this

#10 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:00 AM

I recently picked up an SS III (the version with fore and aft tubes).  It's the best red dot finder I've found yet.  I like it better than the SS V.  I actually prefer it to the Tele Vue Starbeam, which I think has a clunky, awkward design.

Mike

• Traveler likes this

#11 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Viking 1

Posted 20 July 2019 - 03:56 PM

Here shows how large the 80mm Stellarvue finder [F080M3] is. Mounted to my LX90-10.

svfinder.jpg

svfinder2.jpg

• Sarkikos likes this

#12 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 20 July 2019 - 08:00 PM

The 80 Stellarvue looks good.  But personally, I couldn't bear viewing through any kind of straight-through for than a few seconds.  Even on a goto scope, I'd want the optical finder to be a RACI.  The finder can double as a low-power rich-field scope.  Again, that's not something I'd want to do with a straight-through.

One exception I've made in the past is for a straight-through 6x30 finder with an erect, non-reversed image.  They aren't bad for sighting on bright objects, such as a bright planet, when that's all I'm going to look at for the evening.  The magnification helps in relocating and recentering the object when it has drifted out of the field at high power on a mount that doesn't track.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 20 July 2019 - 08:02 PM.

• rkelley8493 likes this

#13 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Viking 1

Posted 21 July 2019 - 06:45 PM

The 80 Stellarvue looks good.  But personally, I couldn't bear viewing through any kind of straight-through for than a few seconds.  Even on a goto scope, I'd want the optical finder to be a RACI.  The finder can double as a low-power rich-field scope.  Again, that's not something I'd want to do with a straight-through.

One exception I've made in the past is for a straight-through 6x30 finder with an erect, non-reversed image.  They aren't bad for sighting on bright objects, such as a bright planet, when that's all I'm going to look at for the evening.  The magnification helps in relocating and recentering the object when it has drifted out of the field at high power on a mount that doesn't track.

Mike

The way I use a finder is with both of my eyes. My right eye is fixed on the target star, and my left eye with the magnified image superimposed on the target. That way I know exactly what I'm centered on. That's just my style and what works best for me.. but we're all different winky.gif  

#14 Auburn80

Auburn80

Viking 1

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:37 PM

Mike / Sarkikos; where did you get that bracket? I have an Orion 6x30 RACI and was told I couldn't even remove the little scope to use elsewhere.

#15 Siggy

Siggy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:26 PM

Just acquired a GSO 8x50 RACI with the SCT bracket for a C6. Not illuminated, but seems well made and works well.

• Sarkikos likes this

#16 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:06 AM

The way I use a finder is with both of my eyes. My right eye is fixed on the target star, and my left eye with the magnified image superimposed on the target. That way I know exactly what I'm centered on. That's just my style and what works best for me.. but we're all different winky.gif  

Sure, that's what I do with straight-through finders.  If I have a RACI finder on a scope, I always also have either a 1x red-dot or red-ring straight-through (or a laser finder).  But I use the straight-through only for the initial sighting to get me in the neighborhood of the object.  I don't want to star hop with a straight-through.  Not happening. 

It is much, much more comfortable to star hop with a RACI.  And like I said, I can also utilize the RACI as a rich field telescope.  I can't imagine doing either with a straight-through.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 22 July 2019 - 06:10 AM.

• rkelley8493 likes this

#17 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:15 AM

Mike / Sarkikos; where did you get that bracket? I have an Orion 6x30 RACI and was told I couldn't even remove the little scope to use elsewhere.

I'll have to look up where I got the bracket.  I had a couple of them.  I put one on my C6 and the other on my C5.  

Sure, you can remove the Orion 6x30 RACI from its tall bracket and insert it in the type I'm using.  But you have to unscrew and remove the right-angle section of the finder first, insert the finder in the bracket, and then screw the sections back together.

For the low-profile bracket I have now, you really should keep it attached to the OTA along with the 6x30 finder.  Otherwise, you'll need to remove and attach the bracket every time.  It is attached to the OTA with two screws.  However, the 6x30 on the bracket doesn't take up much space.  I fold the right-angle section over when I store the OTA.

These low-profile brackets go right on the C5 and C6.  I'd like to figure out some way to use them on refractors. 

The Orion bracket is ridiculously tall.  Such a crazy design.  Some have cut a section out of the stalk and glued it back together to shorten the bracket.  Seems like a lot of work to me, and I'd be concerned that the stalk would fall apart later.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 22 July 2019 - 01:12 PM.

#18 Auburn80

Auburn80

Viking 1

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:29 AM

Thanks Mike. If I read you right, the bracket screws directly to the OTA and does not use a shoe?

Clark

#19 Jim4321

Jim4321

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Asheville

Posted 22 July 2019 - 10:50 AM

I've found that the the tall Orion bracket works fine, at least on my SCT's.  It gets the eyepiece end of the finder well away from the main eyepiece, negating the 'forehead bumping' hazard. 

The use of simple Synta-style shoes allows me to strip my SCT for transport and storage, then re-populate it with accessories at the next set-up with minimal realignment. 

Here's the setup on my C9.25:

2e6huug.jpg

This shows the Celestron finder with the illuminated crosshairs in the Orion holder.  Not quite a perfect fit, but it does work.

Jim H.

#20 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:18 PM

Thanks Mike. If I read you right, the bracket screws directly to the OTA and does not use a shoe?

Clark

Yes, that's correct. 

Unfortunately, I still haven't found out exactly where I got these low-profile finder brackets.  Did I buy them directly from a vendor?  Did I take them off a couple telescopes I already owned, stored the brackets away, and retrieved them later to put on the Cats?  I have so many toys and parts for my toys, it's hard to keep track sometimes .... grin.gif   When I find out, I'll let you know.  I'd like to get a couple more for myself. 

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 22 July 2019 - 12:19 PM.

• Auburn80 likes this

#21 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:23 PM

I've found that the the tall Orion bracket works fine, at least on my SCT's.  It gets the eyepiece end of the finder well away from the main eyepiece, negating the 'forehead bumping' hazard. 

The use of simple Synta-style shoes allows me to strip my SCT for transport and storage, then re-populate it with accessories at the next set-up with minimal realignment. 

Here's the setup on my C9.25:

2e6huug.jpg

This shows the Celestron finder with the illuminated crosshairs in the Orion holder.  Not quite a perfect fit, but it does work.

Jim H.

Your pic shows the larger standard bracket for 50mm finders.  That bracket needs to have some height due to the larger size of the finder. 

But I'm talking about the bracket for 6x30 finders.  It is taller than it needs to be.  When I have it on a refractor or Cat, I need to rise from my chair or even stand up to look through a 6x30 RACI in the bracket.  Very inefficient.  I shouldn't have to do that for a small finder.  Maybe originally they designed the tall bracket for 6x30 straight-through finders.  If a straight-through finder is too close to the OTA, you might not have room to place your head to look through them.  But then again many red-dot finders have low-profile brackets.  The 6x30 brackets are just too tall.

Actually, I don't mind if the finder eyepiece is close to the telescope eyepiece.  I prefer it.  That way I can go back and forth quickly between telescope view and finder view as needed.  

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 22 July 2019 - 12:32 PM.

• Auburn80 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics