•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Premium 1/10PV 8" Newtonian vs mass market 8" Newtonian.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:15 AM

https://astromart.co...ewtonian-mt-200

#27 Max T

Max T

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 July 2019 - 04:14 PM

Has anyone replaced their regular 8" Synta Newtonian with a higher quality 8" Newtonian and how was your experience?

The key difference I found was as follows.    During critical observation of an object for 5-10 mins, on the couple of times when the atmospheric seeing snapped into focus- lasting 0.5 to 2 seconds- the mass market mirror would give an "ooh nice" response whereas the premium would give a "wow!" response.

The rest of the time the mirrors were pretty similar.

On galaxies, the higher strehl mirror gave just enough contrast to pass a threshold where the eye could suddenly detect a dust lane.   The mass market mirror couldn't reach that threshold.

• N3p likes this

#28 N3p

N3p

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:03 PM

Ok thanks for all your replies it helped me very much to decide what to do, It's clear in my head now.

I decided to put an hold on the premium 8" idea and live with my current Synta for a while. I will develop my star testing skill so I can analyze my current mirror and learn new things about it. I worked on the collimation of my tube today and.. now that the spiders are even.. the tube is much rounder in the front and the secondary mirror has much much less angle then it use to be.

The rotation of the telescope in the rings has also improved. 

Even after 4 years I am still learning a lot..

• Asbytec, Max T, howardcano and 1 other like this

#29 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:46 AM

Newtonians are a constant learning curve gaah.gif

• Asbytec likes this

#30 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: Triton

Posted 22 July 2019 - 01:47 PM

From what I've seen among Chinese optics versus premium is most noticeably a difference of SMOOTHNESS.  My PARKS which I think rates at least very good is also butter smooth.  Not so the Chinese optics even with really good figure like their C6.  Roughness seems the time issue they skimp on.

Pete

• Max T likes this

#31 N3p

N3p

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:01 PM

Newtonians are a constant learning curve gaah.gif

Yes,  am climbing the ladder too!

I am pretty sure I have access to the very best this telescope can give me right now, It took me more then 2 years to reach that level of refinement with the collimation. Last night the views of Saturn at 212x were stunning with very impressive contrast and many sharp cloud details on the planet. It's surprising what can be achieved with a good Orthoscopic, good collimation and good atmospheric conditions.

What a nice observation.. it's always clear on Sunday evening.bawling.gif

From what I've seen among Chinese optics versus premium is most noticeably a difference of SMOOTHNESS.  My PARKS which I think rates at least very good is also butter smooth.  Not so the Chinese optics even with really good figure like their C6.  Roughness seems the time issue they skimp on.

When I have bad views usually they are soft and smooth no details, a lack of sharpness and contrast. But a rough view.. I don't have a picture too much of what you mean. I know the mechanic of the Chinese telescopes can be very rough like a Rack and pinion focuser.

• Asbytec likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics