•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nexstar Hand controller not working

accessories equipment reflector Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 charliekempf

charliekempf

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 July 2019 - 04:08 PM

Hi everyone,

In a previous thread I explained how the original controller for my Nexstar 114 SLT was subjected to water damage, and how I was forced to buy a new one off of eBay. This new controller is fully functional, apart from the fact that the telescope is completely unresponsive when trying move the motors.

Here are a few problems I have already ruled out:

- Power to the motors: The telescope is unresponsive on battery and DC power

- Bad motors: the motors worked fine a few days ago, they were not touched by the water damage either

- Loose connection: I have opened up the "arm" on my telescope, and tightened all the connections on the circuit board, still nothing, also both the azimuth and altitude motors are unresponsive so a loose connection seems unlikely

- Burnt out motors: The motors are completely silent when I attempt to move them

- Weight imbalance: I tried taking the telescope tube completely off and attempting to move the arm with nothing on it, still unresponsive

After reading about the controllers on www.nexstarsite.com, I checked to see if my hand controller was "Version 4" or not. I don't believe it is as I cannot find the "Version" tab in the menu or the utility tab after looking.

I also read of nexstarsite that the remotes can look identical, even if they're a different version. When ordering the new one off of eBay, I played it by eye and ordered the one which looked the same as my broken one (image of new one below):

s-l1600.jpg(Not sure how to make it smaller)

So here are a few questions I have

1. There are many different remotes before the Version 4 remote, how do I identify which one I have? (I've already checked the seller listing)

2. Is my remote compatible with my telescope (Nexstar 114 SLT) or is this an actual hardware/software bug?

3. If my remote is compatible, what steps can I take to get it working again (if there are any)?

Thanks,

Charlie

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 19 July 2019 - 04:19 PM

They come with either Alt-Az or GEM programming and they look the same. They just have a sticky on the back that tells which program it is (and they can be re-programmed). All that said it should still power up. If it powers up it might not work if it detects the wrong type of hardware under it. Does the controller have a modular serial port or a USB port in the bottom of the hand controller?

#3 Gary Z

Gary Z

Apollo

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 19 July 2019 - 04:21 PM

I believe as you have Nexstar+ that your HC is at least 4. 

Gary

#4 charliekempf

charliekempf

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 July 2019 - 04:25 PM

They come with either Alt-Az or GEM programming and they look the same. They just have a sticky on the back that tells which program it is (and they can be re-programmed). All that said it should still power up. If it powers up it might not work if it detects the wrong type of hardware under it. Does the controller have a modular serial port or a USB port in the bottom of the hand controller?

- It has a serial port on the bottom.

- In the menus I went into the scope selection and selected "Nexstar 114," and it still didn't work. However "Nexstar 114" could be referring to a number of scopes, not just mine (the 114 GT for example).

-In terms of connecting it to my computer, I am unable to get Celestron Firmware Manager to recognize the telescope at all.

#5 charliekempf

charliekempf

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 July 2019 - 04:27 PM

I believe as you have Nexstar+ that your HC is at least 4. 

Gary

I don't think the remote is a nexstar+, as it does not have the + mark next to the "Nexstar" emblem near the LCD (see the photo). Instead it is a * mark.

#6 makeitso

makeitso

Ranger 4

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 20 July 2019 - 05:37 PM

That is not a nexstar plus controller. As was said, it doesn’t have the plus on the logo and, some of the the buttons on the plus controller are different than the ones in the above picture. I can’t say whether or not it’s compatible with your mount though.

Jack

Edited by makeitso, 20 July 2019 - 05:37 PM.

#7 whizbang

whizbang

Messenger

• Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 20 July 2019 - 08:22 PM

Every Nexstar controller I have ever seen has up/down scroll arrows on the 6 and 9 buttons.

#8 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:21 PM

Hi everyone,

In a previous thread I explained how the original controller for my Nexstar 114 SLT was subjected to water damage, and how I was forced to buy a new one off of eBay. This new controller is fully functional, apart from the fact that the telescope is completely unresponsive when trying move the motors.

Here are a few problems I have already ruled out:

- Power to the motors: The telescope is unresponsive on battery and DC power

- Bad motors: the motors worked fine a few days ago, they were not touched by the water damage either

- Loose connection: I have opened up the "arm" on my telescope, and tightened all the connections on the circuit board, still nothing, also both the azimuth and altitude motors are unresponsive so a loose connection seems unlikely

- Burnt out motors: The motors are completely silent when I attempt to move them

- Weight imbalance: I tried taking the telescope tube completely off and attempting to move the arm with nothing on it, still unresponsive

After reading about the controllers on www.nexstarsite.com, I checked to see if my hand controller was "Version 4" or not. I don't believe it is as I cannot find the "Version" tab in the menu or the utility tab after looking.

I also read of nexstarsite that the remotes can look identical, even if they're a different version. When ordering the new one off of eBay, I played it by eye and ordered the one which looked the same as my broken one (image of new one below):

(Not sure how to make it smaller)

So here are a few questions I have

1. There are many different remotes before the Version 4 remote, how do I identify which one I have? (I've already checked the seller listing)

2. Is my remote compatible with my telescope (Nexstar 114 SLT) or is this an actual hardware/software bug?

3. If my remote is compatible, what steps can I take to get it working again (if there are any)?

Thanks,

Charlie

- It has a serial port on the bottom.

- In the menus I went into the scope selection and selected "Nexstar 114," and it still didn't work. However "Nexstar 114" could be referring to a number of scopes, not just mine (the 114 GT for example).

-In terms of connecting it to my computer, I am unable to get Celestron Firmware Manager to recognize the telescope at all.

Hi Charlie,

If there is a Model Select in the HC menu then this is a NexStar GT hand control.  It is not compatible with the SLT mount and pressing the arrow buttons will not cause the motors to move.  You need either a NexStar version 4 hand control or a NexStar+ hand control.  

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

#9 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 25 July 2019 - 06:11 PM

Pretty sure most ver. 4s had the swish Celestron logo not the "hamburger". As the "Nexstar" imprinted on the  LCD window is not in arial italics and at the top of the window (making it a Nexstar 5/8 HBX), I'd say you have a gen 1 Nexstar GT HBX.

This is only compatible with the Nexstar GT line introduced in 2000. You need a 4 or a Plus. Ver. 4s are thin on the ground so look for a Plus in the Classifieds. Going for about $40 currently.

#10 Gary Z

Gary Z

Apollo

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:22 AM

I don't think the remote is a nexstar+, as it does not have the + mark next to the "Nexstar" emblem near the LCD (see the photo). Instead it is a * mark.

Yeah, you are correct....should have worn my glasses...

Gary

#11 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:47 PM

Vendor, Wing & Sons, sells the Plus 2 for $70. They are reliable. I've had about 30 from them pass through here without issue. Get two and have a spare or resell it in the Classifieds. You will want at least one NXS model. They come in about 8/9 ounces and can ship first class. I've had about 30 from them pass through here without issue.

I've sold working old GT's for $25-30. 

Edited by Geo., 01 August 2019 - 06:48 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, equipment, reflector, Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics