•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Recommend astrometric eyepiece?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lsfinn

lsfinn

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Santa Fe, NM

Posted 19 July 2019 - 05:31 PM

Hi - I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has and uses an astrometric eyepiece with an illuminated astrometric reticle: i.e., a reticle with engravings that I can use to measure position angles and separations of binaries, and for precision alignment of my scope. What do you have, and how do you find it? 

I'm looking for a good such eyepiece. What do I mean by "good"? 

* The illuminator should not be so bright that it destroys dark adaptation or otherwise makes it impossible to see the binary, PN, gc, galaxy, etc., that I'm trying to measure; 

* The eyepiece optical quality should be good: i.e., no obvious kidney-beaning, pincushion, or other optical distortions across the fov. 

* Eye relief should be reasonable and comfortable -I shouldn't have to press my eyeball against the glass. 

Any and all advice or recommendations welcome. I have tried a Meade MA 12mm but, as detailed in a separate thread, that eyepiece failed on all accounts. 

#2 nicoledoula

nicoledoula

Viking 1

Posted 19 July 2019 - 06:09 PM

To my knowledge what you're looking for doesn't exist.

#3 25585

Aurora

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 19 July 2019 - 06:51 PM

There is an expensive Baader https://www.firstlig...e-eyepiece.html

Eye relief will be short I expect..... 

#4 sc285

sc285

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeastern KS

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:39 PM

There is an expensive Baader https://www.firstlig...e-eyepiece.html

That is the same reticle that the Meade microguide eyepiece uses, just slapped with a "Baader" label to make it twice as expensive. I am sure the performance and results are the same.

Rob

#5 lsfinn

lsfinn

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Santa Fe, NM

Posted 20 July 2019 - 04:51 PM

That is the same reticle that the Meade microguide eyepiece uses, just slapped with a "Baader" label to make it twice as expensive. I am sure the performance and results are the same.

Rob

Actually, 4x expensive! 

In any event, it's the eyepiece quality I'm concerned about. That particular reticle design is exactly what I'm looking for. The 12mm Meade MA is just not a quality eyepiece, the lens used for the reticle is not quality lens, and the illuminator needs to be replaced with something better. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics