•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can't decide - new or used...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Katz

Katz

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southwest OH

Posted 19 July 2019 - 06:19 PM

Question - If you're planning on a remote observatory, would you consider a rebuilt MKS5000 Paramount ME as a good solid purchase, or go for the same $ and get a NEW MX+?"  My max instrument size is a 16" GSO RC and it's pushing the 100lb limit at 90 lbs including focuser and cameras.

The reason I ask is I'm trading all of my Brand "L" stuff to a vendor for credit towards the new MX+, or should I go for the used mount that has a higher payload and is about the same price as the new MX+?

Can't decide... can't decide... losing my mind...

Kev

#2 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:01 PM

Some hard choices.  I don't worry about new vs. used all that much as long as the product is one that is reliable and the item is in good condition.  But I would probably recommend the new technology over the old for future proofing.  The capacity of the MX+ might be an issue.  However, the premium mounts are pretty good about being able to handle their rated capacities depending the optical configuration of which your RC might be pretty reasonable.  If the trade-in deal is good or if you don't want to go through the hassle of selling your current equipment yourself (although you would probably make more money that way), then the new mount may again be the way to go.  Warranty is definitely an important consideration and if you can't get one from the manufacturer (e.g., a transfer of the original warranty that remains, if any), that weighs negatively against the used mount. 

#3 Katz

Katz

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southwest OH

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:25 PM

Warranty... something I hadn't considered.  Thanks, Ed!

Kev

#4 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:07 PM

I bought all my "premium" mounts used - this includes, 3 A-P mounts (Mach1, AP900 and AP1200) and one MyT. 

All 4 mounts were from folks that I either trust or had the opportunity to "see" them before buying. 

The one thing that I have found about folks keeping premium mounts is that they care about them as if they are their babies, folks don't tend to abuse equipment that costs thousands of dollars. 

So, if you trust the seller or have the opportunity to inspect the mount, I would not be worried about buying a used mount at all. In fact, those will come with many of the accessories that will cost a ton, so that is an added incentive.

CS! 

#5 macdonjh

macdonjh

Aurora

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:29 AM

The only thing I worry about with used mounts is electronics.  The mechanicals are pretty simple and robust.  So, since I have never owned a Software Bisque product I have this question: are there any electronics in their mounts?  Or is there just a port for connecting a computer that runs The Sky?  If there aren't any electronics to go bad, then I'd think the only thing you would sacrifice buying used is that "new mount smell" and the warranty.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics