•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Needed parts for mounting a TV85 scope to a astrotech voyager 2 mount?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sipster

sipster

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pa. U.S.A

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:07 PM

Hello everyone.. it's been a while. I have a Televue 85 refractor scope that i have always had on an astroview eq mount. I have decided to lighten the load as my grab and go scope and ordered an Astro Tech voyager 2 mount for it. I have never had an altazimuth mount before. I obviously have clam shell rings for the eq mount. So.. i ordered the Tele Vue adapter that says it's universal to use a televue scope on a vixen style altazimuth or an eq mount. Was that a good idea? Is that all I need? No other dovetail or anything? Will that adapter allow me to attach the scope right to the mount head? I appreciate anyones insight.

#2 Astrolite

Astrolite

Viking 1

• Loc: S. Central Pennsylvania

Posted 19 July 2019 - 11:33 PM

It's been so many years ago since I did this I can't remember exactly why I did this. I believe it had to do with a clearance issue, either the ring interfered with the saddle on the mount or the screws protruded to far through the Vixen dovetail and interfered with the saddle. but I had to add an aluminum plate between the TeleVue mounting ring and the Vixen dovetail. 

IMG_3501.jpg

Edit: I just re-read your post. If you already had your scope mounted to an EQ mount it should just mount to your new mount without any modifications. A picture of your scope would help.

Edited by Astrolite, 19 July 2019 - 11:37 PM.

• sipster likes this

#3 Spikey131

Spikey131

Viking 1

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:41 AM

If you ordered the TV AVT-1011 adapter, it will work just fine with that mount.

Edited by Spikey131, 20 July 2019 - 07:42 AM.

• sipster likes this

#4 Astrolite

Astrolite

Viking 1

• Loc: S. Central Pennsylvania

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:58 AM

But, if as the OP said, "that i have always had on an astroview eq mount", why would he need anything additional to mount it on a Astro Tech voyager 2 mount? Going to Alt Az doesn't require anything special if both mounts have Vixen saddles.

#5 sipster

sipster

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 July 2019 - 03:21 PM

It's been so many years ago since I did this I can't remember exactly why I did this. I believe it had to do with a clearance issue, either the ring interfered with the saddle on the mount or the screws protruded to far through the Vixen dovetail and interfered with the saddle. but I had to add an aluminum plate between the TeleVue mounting ring and the Vixen dovetail. 

attachicon.gif IMG_3501.jpg

Edit: I just re-read your post. If you already had your scope mounted to an EQ mount it should just mount to your new mount without any modifications. A picture of your scope would help.

Thank you for your response. I'm sure i will figure it out when the new mount arrives.

#6 sipster

sipster

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 July 2019 - 03:25 PM

Thank you very much. I would hate to have my thunder that night receiving my new equipment only to realize I needed to order something else to make it work.

#7 sipster

sipster

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 July 2019 - 03:47 PM

But, if as the OP said, "that i have always had on an astroview eq mount", why would he need anything additional to mount it on a Astro Tech voyager 2 mount? Going to Alt Az doesn't require anything special if both mounts have Vixen saddles.

I don't want to sound like an astronomy greenhorn, but i'm just not sure. I got confused reading the available descriptions. I have never changed mounts before and I don't think the orion astroview eq mount uses a vixen style system. I have never used an altazimuth mount before and I'm just not sure how it mounts until I get it so.. want to make sure I have what I need to assemble it when it arrives. I appreciate your time and responses. Thank you.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics