•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Big purchases; the best decision you’ve made, despite feeling uneasy about it at the time!

accessories
  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#51 izar187

izar187

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 02 August 2019 - 10:33 AM

For me it has been utilitarian vehicles to fit the scope(s) I choose, able to take them off road into public land.

I do not own darkness, so choose to be able to go there any night year 'round.

Some four cylinder, some six, all used, researched for reliability beforehand, no car payments, winter road worthy.

When road salt finally compromises reliability as first tier telescope transport, then they're a non astro back up, or sold.

This was a slow adjustment into 4WD/AWD from earlier years without.

Getting stuck on winter secondary roads, in what could have had a serious outcome... one astro excursion, one not.

But someone just happened by with a more capable vehicle.

Not a deuce and a half or monster truck, just some more traction and ground clearance wheel base ratio.

#52 Kaydubbed

Kaydubbed

Vostok 1

• Loc: Kansas City, Missouri

Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:42 AM

My Losmandy G11T and FHD Tripod. It is the most I've ever spent in a single purchase. It is heavy and has a 75lb AP capacity But it is many times more portable that my CGEMII and as soon as I saw those PHDII graphs and knew I wouldn't have to babysit the guiding, I knew it was a great purchase. I'm very much done with Chinese mounts (and scopes).

#53 Binofrac

Binofrac

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, UK

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:22 PM

My biggest astro purchases to date (telescope and binoculars), and the reasons why are in a small booklet I wrote for my astronomy club here- https://www.ashforda...he-stars-v2.pdf Not a lot for many people but it was for me at the time. I've never regretted it.

#54 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 13 September 2019 - 12:42 PM

This rig

Attached Thumbnails

• AP and 10M.jpg

• doctordub likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics