•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Combining OSC images with Mono images

astrophotography imaging
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Brent Jaffa

Brent Jaffa

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:55 AM

I have been imaging with a ASI1600  OSC cmos camera. I would like to branch out to a ASI1600 monochrome.

I know that some mono photographers will take Luminous x1 bin and RGB images with 2x2 bin (each). 

I was wondering if a OSC camera (that has a bayer matrix) and shoots color with one set of images could be combined

and processed with the LUM images of the mono (say using pixinsight).?

Would they be comparable if the image was shot with Lum (binx1) and RGB (x2 bin) images?

There by require fewer total shots as the mon was combined with the OSC images.

I am new at imaging so this might be a dumb question. Any advice is appreciated.

Brent

• elmiko likes this

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 20 July 2019 - 01:19 PM

I have been imaging with a ASI1600  OSC cmos camera. I would like to branch out to a ASI1600 monochrome.

I know that some mono photographers will take Luminous x1 bin and RGB images with 2x2 bin (each). 

I was wondering if a OSC camera (that has a bayer matrix) and shoots color with one set of images could be combined

Would they be comparable if the image was shot with Lum (binx1) and RGB (x2 bin) images?

I am new at imaging so this might be a dumb question. Any advice is appreciated.

Brent

Advice. 

Surprisingly, collecting RGB with a mono camera and full size interference filters, is more efficient than using a OSC with a dyed glass Bayer matrix filter over the individual pixels.  Given equal total imaging times, mono + filters will have a better signal to noise ratio.

The main drawback is cost.  If you're going to purchase a mono camera anyway, I'd get the RGB flters for it also.

You can combine OSC data with mono data in PixInsight.  Even from very different cameras.  Saves the cost of the RGB filters, is not bad.

• Brent Jaffa likes this

#3 Stelios

Stelios

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 20 July 2019 - 01:31 PM

There's no need to bin x2 with the ASI1600. 

LRGB processing basically processes L separately, and R,G,B also separately. Then R+G+B is combined into Chrominance, and then L and Chrominance are merged into the final image, with the detail coming from the L part, and Chrominance only contributing color information.

This is the overview, and if you are asking "can I use my OSC data as Chrominance" then yes, you can. You can even create a synthetic luminance from the Chrominance data and add to the L data for additional detail before re-merging.

But that's if you *HAVE* the data already acquired. If you're just acquiring new data, you're much better off just using the mono camera.

• Brent Jaffa likes this

#4 2ghouls

2ghouls

Viking 1

Posted 20 July 2019 - 01:33 PM

Yes, you can combine OSC data with mono data. I've done it, and it works fine.

One note about your thinking about binning. As I understand it the main benefit to binning is when the camera can hardware bin, basically creating super-pixels. The only cameras that currently do this are CCDs. So if you get the ASI1600MM (CMOS), I don't think there is any great benefit to binning as it is just like resampling in software.

• elmiko and Brent Jaffa like this

#5 Brent Jaffa

Brent Jaffa

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 20 July 2019 - 02:06 PM

Thanks all for your great responses! Very much appreciated!!

#6 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:31 PM

Yep, works fine. I used to buy my cameras in pairs; one color, the other monochrome. I'd then combine the luminance from the monochrome camera with the color from the color camera. I even assembled pai5rs of telescopes and mounts so that I could take the luminance and color data at the same time.

My twin StarBlasts...

StarBlast-Twins-1j.jpg

And my twin LXD75 SN6s...

Twin SN6s.jpg

The twin StarBlasts as they appear today. I now used them to compare cameras by imaging the same target at the same time under the same conditions...

StarBlast Twins EAA (2-19-2017)-2.jpg

Neat stuff.

• psandelle, OrionSword, 2ghouls and 1 other like this

#7 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 21 July 2019 - 12:21 PM

You can combine OSC data with mono data in PixInsight.  Even from very different cameras.  Saves the cost of the RGB filters, is not bad.

Interesting!

So, OSC with, say, an ASI071 Pro, plus Ha with a mono camera (which one?) and fixed filter, could be an effective alternative to going whole-hog into LRGB or NB Mono when imaging an Ha-rich target?

I'm working through my experiment with "no cost LRGB imaging" (update coming), and it's making me appreciate OSC a whole lot more than I thought it would...

#8 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 21 July 2019 - 12:41 PM

Greg,

So, OSC with, say, an ASI071 Pro, plus Ha with a mono camera (which one?) and fixed filter, could be an effective alternative to going whole-hog into LRGB or NB Mono when imaging an Ha-rich target?

Top end, best pictures possible, you need to go whole hog. 

As alternatives, well, it depends on what you are after. And how much of the hog you want.

OSC alone is a pretty good way to image. Many argue that at the top end, (where few of us ever go, or can go) you can see the differences. But in practice, you can capture color data well enough. And yes, it can be combined with whatever you want to use as luminance. 

BUt, whether it will meet your standards of "alternative to" is really up to you. 

Alex

#9 Charlie B

Charlie B

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Virginia

Posted 21 July 2019 - 03:52 PM

Brent

See ( https://www.flickr.c...eposted-public/)!  I took this image on one night with a DSLR and another night using a monochrome cooled camera (QSI-683).  Both were shot through a Canon 200mm lens at F4.  Camera control/centering used SGP and processing was with Pixinsight.  

Regards,

Charlie B

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics