•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Combining OSC images with Mono images

astrophotography imaging
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brent Jaffa

Brent Jaffa

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 20 July 2019 - 12:20 PM

I have been imaging with a ASI1600  OSC cmos camera. I would like to branch out to a ASI1600 monochrome.
I know that some mono photographers will take Luminous x1 bin and RGB images with 2x2 bin (each).
I was wondering if a OSC camera (that has a bayer matrix) and shoots color with one set of images could be combined
and processed with the LUM images of the mono (say using pixinsight).?
Would they be comparable if the image was shot with Lum (binx1) and RGB (x2 bin) images?
There by require fewer total shots as the mon was combined with the OSC images.

I am new at imaging so this might be a dumb question. Any advice is appreciated.

Brent

#2 apophisOAS

apophisOAS

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 July 2019 - 12:31 PM

Yes that's completely possible with resizing and cropping say in Registar or similar then process as normal. I have combined DSLR and Mono just over a week apart! ie Pixinsight not needed, or wanted LOL

Vk8xdMk9Mxi5_1824x0_wmhqkGbg.jpg

Capture Details

---------------------

Stacked with Astroart 7.0 64bit
Registered , cropped and resized in Registar 1.09 64bit new Resolution 5414 x 3436
Processed in Photoshop CS2 v9
Astro Photography Tool

DSLR------------------------------------Canon 1000D modified
Resolution 3888 x 2592
40 Lights @ 300s 16oC - 20oC
Flat / Darks
24/07/2018

CMOS------------------------------------ZWO ASI183MM Monochrome 4/3 CMOS USB3.0 Deep Sky Imager Camera
Resolution 5496 x 3672
60 Luminance @60s -10oC
33 Red @60s -10oC
9 Green @60s -10oC
30 Blue @60s -10oC
Darks / Flats
16/07/2018

HTH,

Roger

Edited by apophisOAS, 20 July 2019 - 12:33 PM.

• Brent Jaffa likes this

#3 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 20 July 2019 - 12:42 PM

The way an L is combined with RGB, is just that. 

Your brain is assuming the L, R, G, and B are combined at the same time. In fact, one produces an RGB image and then lays the Luminance over it. Your LRGB image is really an L image overlaying an RGB image. 

So, after you get your RGB image, "Register" it to the Luminance frame. This will change its current pixels (which are no longer affected by the Bayer CFA) to the proper size and registration. Then layer your processed L image over it as if that RGB image had been generated with a combination of R, G, and B dedicated filter pictures. 

In effect, you have an RGB image whose data comes from a regular Bayer processing while traditional LRGB images have an RGB image derived from the R, G, and B combination. The Luminance does not care where you got the color data, though.

Alex 

• Brent Jaffa likes this

#4 Brent Jaffa

Brent Jaffa

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 20 July 2019 - 12:52 PM

Thank you Roger & Alex for your response.

The M33 image is very nice!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics