•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nexstar 8se with 6000mAH Talentcell?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hsewalia

Hsewalia

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 July 2019 - 12:33 PM

Hello,

Has anyone ever used the 6000mAH Talentcell to power the Nexstar 8se?
How many hours can you get?

#2 Mike Mc

Mike Mc

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Worth, TX

Posted 20 July 2019 - 12:53 PM

Hello,

Has anyone ever used the 6000mAH Talentcell to power the Nexstar 8se?
How many hours can you get?

Yes, I used one for several years successfully and it was still working well when I sold it along with the scope.  I ran the scope and  wifi module with the battery in weather down to about 30 F. Longest session was probably 3 hours, but it never took long to recharge, so I had the impression that I never really taxed its capacity. I attached it to the forward facing side of the vertical arm with velcro, thereby eliminating cord wrap issues which was nice as well. Highly recommended.

#3 saturn5

saturn5

Ranger 4

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 20 July 2019 - 01:23 PM

Yes. I use the the 6000mAH Talentcell to power my nexstar 6se. No extras. While i have never timed how long it lasts i would guess about 4-6 hours. depending on number of slews and weather of course. But have used it in freezing weather with no problems. I just wish i would of bought one with the fuel gauge on it. the only way i know this battery is gonna die is when the scope starts moving slow. Been using this packs for years with no problem. i have a 8300 mah one with fuel gauge to power my 11 cpc scope and that one i can use with no problems even for many hours in below freezing weather. If it gets below 50 degrees i usually keep packs in house until ready to use.

#4 Hsewalia

Hsewalia

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 July 2019 - 02:23 PM

Thanks Guys. 

Glad to know that you can get about 4 hours...which is how long I would normally stay out per session. 

So I also have a Kendrick heater with one heating strap for the 8se and a 7AH Celestron power tank. 

My question is, should I use the power tank for the scope and talentcell for the heater or vice versa??

#5 Mike Mc

Mike Mc

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 July 2019 - 04:26 PM

Thanks Guys. 

Glad to know that you can get about 4 hours...which is how long I would normally stay out per session. 

So I also have a Kendrick heater with one heating strap for the 8se and a 7AH Celestron power tank. 

My question is, should I use the power tank for the scope and talentcell for the heater or vice versa??

Because I always found cord wrap to be a headache, I would’ve purchased 2 talentcells and disposed of the power tank. 

#6 Hsewalia

Hsewalia

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 July 2019 - 10:33 PM

Because I always found cord wrap to be a headache, I would’ve purchased 2 talentcells and disposed of the power tank. 

Lol! That would be ideal, but I’m trying to get whatever use I can out of what I currently have. 

I was thinking that the heater would probably have a higher current draw than the scope so maybe putting the heater on the power tank and the scope on the talentcell might be the better option? If my reasoning is correct??

#7 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:26 AM

Lol! That would be ideal, but I’m trying to get whatever use I can out of what I currently have. 

I was thinking that the heater would probably have a higher current draw than the scope so maybe putting the heater on the power tank and the scope on the talentcell might be the better option? If my reasoning is correct??

This is the better solution IME as the heater draws more current.

Also, having separate power sources is required.  Using only one power source usually messes up the tracking/GOTO due to the  power surge of the heater.

• Hsewalia likes this

#8 lkannard

lkannard

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:38 AM

I purchased the TalentCell Rechargeable 72W 100WH 12V/8300mAh 9V/11000mAh 5V/20000mAh DC Output Lithium Ion Battery Pack last year for $50.00 on Amazon.  I have the NexStar 6SE on the AltAz mount.  It easily lasts over 24 hours and still has a charge left.  I also use this battery pack to run my Dew Heater.

I look at Battery Packs and Telescopes the same way when purchasing.  Buy the largest size that your budget can afford.

Edited by lkannard, 21 July 2019 - 10:40 AM.

• Mike Mc likes this

#9 Mike Mc

Mike Mc

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:02 PM

I purchased the TalentCell Rechargeable 72W 100WH 12V/8300mAh 9V/11000mAh 5V/20000mAh DC Output Lithium Ion Battery Pack last year for $50.00 on Amazon.  I have the NexStar 6SE on the AltAz mount.  It easily lasts over 24 hours and still has a charge left.  I also use this battery pack to run my Dew Heater.

I look at Battery Packs and Telescopes the same way when purchasing.  Buy the largest size that your budget can afford.

This makes sense. Another step to consider is to wrap your OTA in a radiant barrier material (reflectx, etc) to greatly reduce the radiant heat loss. This will allow you to significantly reduce the power needed by the dew strips. In my climate, the radiant barrier and a dew shield is enough to stop dew formation without using dew strips. Since going this route, I've encountered nights where at the end of the session my scope objective was still dry, yet I had to run my windshield wipers on my car before leaving the site.

Good luck!

#10 Hsewalia

Hsewalia

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2019 - 04:48 PM

This is the better solution IME as the heater draws more current.

Also, having separate power sources is required.  Using only one power source usually messes up the tracking/GOTO due to the  power surge of the heater.

Thanks junomike! I didn’t consider the power surge from the heater affecting the tracking but thanks for letting me know! I’ll run with separate supplies and see how it goes...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics