•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M8 - the best that I've gotten so far

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jrbuchanan

jrbuchanan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 July 2019 - 03:55 PM

Being knew to EAA there is a great deal to learn but one of the things that I appreciate it about it is that I'm able to make observations even during a nearly full moon.  Last night the moon was incredibly bright but I was still able to view many deep sky objects and got some great images.  

My equipment is a Celestron NextStar 6se with .50 focal reducer and ZWO 224 camera.  Every time I go out a I learn new things about my equipment and how to use it.  Last night, my goal was to experiment with a little lower gain setting.  Previously I had been using gains of between 350 and 400.  While I was able to capture some average pictures, they sometimes had some "streakiness" in them.  After reading a great deal on the forums I decided that I need to attempt a bit lower gain, so last night I cut it back to 300.  The results were outstanding in my opinion.  I also am still working to get a better color balance.  This is still a work in progress but I think I am heading in the right direction. 

Here is M8 from last night.  This has much more detail than anything I have gotten before.  Color balance still needs works but very happy with the direction.  

Attached Thumbnails

• Stack_97frames_485s_WithDisplayStretch.png

• Ptarmigan, Starman27, CharlesC and 9 others like this

#2 jrbuchanan

jrbuchanan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 July 2019 - 04:09 PM

For comparison sake here is my previous best which was taken just a few days ago on July 18th.  In this image I had the gain set at 350 with 5 sec exposures.  There is a difference in the total number of images stacked.  The first image had 485 seconds of total exposure time, the second was 340, so this may have been the difference.  But my impression while livestacking was that the lower gain immediately and consistently looked better and I could see much more detail. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Stack_68frames_340s_WithDisplayStretch.png

• roelb likes this

#3 jrbuchanan

jrbuchanan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 July 2019 - 04:15 PM

One more image for comparison sake.  Here is a livestack from the very first, successful attempt that I had at livestacking M8.  This image was made on July 8th.  in In this image the gain was set at 400 and I was still capturing 5 second frames.  The stack is made up of a total of 490 seconds exposure time, so it is roughly equivalent of what I did last night.  Notice that I got much more detail in my lastest picture taken at 300 gain.  Just for reference I looked back in my notes and the seeing and transparency on the 8th were significantly better on the 8th.  

Attached Thumbnails

• Stack_98frames_490s_WithDisplayStretch.png

Edited by jrbuchanan, 20 July 2019 - 04:16 PM.

• roelb and Adun like this

#4 Roger Corbett

Roger Corbett

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:12 AM

Great stuff!

Are you able to see that image in the camera screen or on a connected laptop?  

Does it look like that?!  That's incredible!

Is there a way of wirelessly beaming the camera's image to a tablet, say an iPad?

#5 jrbuchanan

jrbuchanan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:49 AM

Roger,

Yes that is the exact image that I am able to see on my laptop while viewing. That is the advantage of EAA, it allows you to see what you would usually not be able to see simply looking through the eyepiece.  There are ways to do this wirelessly with a tablet but I have not pursued them yet.  If you look around on this forum I am sure there are many posts that give details about how to do it.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics