•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Am I the only one

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jond105

Jond105

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 20 July 2019 - 04:16 PM

Being hot outside I’ve been inside all day. I’ve reading a lot as boredom set in. I’d like to hear thoughts on a normal discussion, but reading I feel....

Im one of the few who prefer straight through finders with refractors. 9x50 is my GoTo finder. This is with a refractor of course. Dobs are a whole different discussion. Cause even there I prefer the reflex with the RA finder. But I notice with my refractor it’s a lot easier to get to the target because I’m looking at the sky and can keep both eyes open to get me where I need to be. I remember when I only had an RA with a refractor it was a little harder to get to my initial target as I’m looking no where near the sky. 

What are are your thoughts and why you prefer what you do as your finder?

#2 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 20 July 2019 - 04:33 PM

It's hot outside here, also. 

I prefer a RA finder of about 9x50 on a refractor bigger than a "grab and go", along with a red dot finder or Rigel Quikfinder.  I use the RDF to get the object into the field of the RA finder, then into the field of the eyepiece, which usually has a 1/2 degree or less field, typically.  On a grab and go refractor, RDF only. Typically, with that I'm using a fairly low (60x or less) power anyway.

• Jon Isaacs and Jond105 like this

#3 Conaxian

Conaxian

Ranger 4

• Loc: Smalltown, South western Ohio

Posted 20 July 2019 - 04:35 PM

It depends on the scope, how its mounted and how long its tube is.

I'm weird. I have two refractors, one 900mm long, one 660. I attached finder shoes to the tubes about 3/4 the way out toward the lens right on the top surface.  They look stupid.

I put my (very light weight) red dot finder on there. At the eyepiece I can just look along the tube axis and see exactly where its pointed any time.  Using a low power eyepiece for a final aiming, I'm all set. I only have to crane my neck at near zenith.

On a short maksutov I use a laser pointer with no maintained switch. I bump it for a second, move the aim, bump it again.  No craning of the neck. Always check for planes!

I have a box with a couple really decent finder scopes lying around here somewhere.

I have a rich field reflector which I use one of the red dots on, but never really use it.

Wide field.

(off topic- why do I see red lines under words like refractor? Am I spelling it wrong?)

• Jond105 likes this

#4 Garyth64

Garyth64

Soyuz

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 20 July 2019 - 05:00 PM

I like straight thru finders on all my scopes.

On my refractors, I like to view straight thru if possible.  I made a couple of wood tripods with 5' legs, so when doing outreach events, we can use the scopes straight thru.  This has been really good because of the position of the planets lately.

• Jond105 likes this

#5 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 July 2019 - 05:05 PM

I would only do a RA if it was paired with a reflex finder.

Scott
  • Jond105 likes this

#6 StarBurger

StarBurger

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: North Country NY

Posted 20 July 2019 - 05:07 PM

Refractor-only use the RA finder for ASPA setting. All I need to see is the selected star on the cross hairs and subsequently just a sanity check that goto has found the right object.

Reflector DOB-green laser pointer.

• Jond105 likes this

#7 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 20 July 2019 - 05:08 PM

I like straight through on my refractors but I can't crane my neck enough to use them with my glasses when looking at objects that are too high in the sky, so I have a right angle adapter that quickly attaches in those circumstances. Best of both worlds.
  • Jond105 likes this

#8 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 20 July 2019 - 05:31 PM

Jon:

I won't talk about the outside temperature other than to say some consider 73° F to be reasonably comfortable and desirable and that many would be happy if it were 73° where they are today.

Now to the topic at hand:  On short focal length refractors that have a wide enough field to serve as their own magnifying finder, I will a straight through finder, a non-magnifying finder, either a red dot or Telrad. Mostly it doesn't get used.

Rather, I "shoot from the hip", I look up at the sky where I figure the object is, and just point the scope by eye/intuition. I'm pretty good so I'll generally put the object in the field of view or close to it.

With longer focal length scopes, 900 mm for example, I use an RACI finder in conjunction with "shooting from the hip."  The longer tube helps me aim more accurately and RACI provides a wider target so I'm pretty deadly with this combo even under light polluted skies where I can't see much.

I think most experienced star hoppers are good at "shooting from the hip"...

Jon

• Jond105, Conaxian and rkelley8493 like this

#9 Jond105

Jond105

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:15 PM

Jon:

I won't talk about the outside temperature other than to say some consider 73° F to be reasonably comfortable and desirable and that many would be happy if it were 73° where they are today.

I would love for 73 right now. Hopefully eventually I can get good at shooting the hip it would make it substantially easier. 

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#10 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:53 PM

RA to keep from sometimes lying on the ground to use the finder coupled with a straight thru red dot finder (RDF) to get me in the area.  The RDF can be used straight thru much easier than a telescopic finder straight thru but does suffer in accuracy/resolution.

• Jon Isaacs and Jond105 like this

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:12 PM

RA to keep from sometimes lying on the ground to use the finder coupled with a straight thru red dot finder (RDF) to get me in the area.  The RDF can be used straight thru much easier than a telescopic finder straight thru but does suffer in accuracy/resolution.

With a Dob, Red Dot/Telrad gets me close,,  RACI gets be there.

Jon

• Knasal and Jond105 like this

#12 Jond105

Jond105

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:33 AM

With a Dob, Red Dot/Telrad gets me close,,  RACI gets be there.

Jon

With the dob, agree the Rigel and RA were the best combo to use. 

#13 izar187

izar187

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 21 July 2019 - 03:20 AM

Straight thru for me. Telrad, peep sights, 10x50.

But I both sit and stand at each scope.   

So straight thru works.

• Jond105 likes this

#14 Mike G.

Mike G.

Apollo

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 21 July 2019 - 06:32 AM

I’ve had 6x30, 8x40, 8x50 straight throughs, 8x50 and 9x50 RACI’s. They have all been removed and replaced with MRF non-magnifying finders. Even with my f/10 C8, a 35 pan, sky safari and the MRF are all I need. Then again, my skies typically don’t permit much over 150x so I’m not going really deep like some people with excellent skies and big glass. 

• Jond105 likes this

#15 luxo II

luxo II

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:37 AM

I use an old Intes straight-through 10x50 finder with an engraved glass graticule because often this is good enough for the alignment of my mount, whereas a zero-power finder (laser, red-dot, TelRad etc) won't do.

Once aligned I don’t use the finder - with careful setup the GOTOs are accurate enough.

Edited by luxo II, 21 July 2019 - 08:03 AM.

• Jond105 likes this

#16 Starlease

Starlease

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rocky mountains.

Posted 21 July 2019 - 12:04 PM

It is around eighty degrees when I go out to look at Jupiter.

And where Jupiter is residing now I like a 45* diagonal. The scope stuff 60 mm finder allows you to have any or no diagonal,very versatile.

Edited by Starlease, 21 July 2019 - 12:05 PM.

• Jond105 likes this

#17 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:15 PM

I prefer straight thru finders on my Cats & Apo [when necessary]. It's kind of guess work for me to get oriented with a right angle finder. With a straight thru, I use both of my eyes to lock in on a star. One eye on the star point in the sky and one eye with the magnified image superimposed on the target. 

Edited by rkelley8493, 21 July 2019 - 01:20 PM.

• Jond105 likes this

#18 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:22 PM

Jon:

Now to the topic at hand:  On short focal length refractors that have a wide enough field to serve as their own magnifying finder, I will a straight through finder, a non-magnifying finder, either a red dot or Telrad. Mostly it doesn't get used.

Rather, I "shoot from the hip", I look up at the sky where I figure the object is, and just point the scope by eye/intuition. I'm pretty good so I'll generally put the object in the field of view or close to it.

With longer focal length scopes, 900 mm for example, I use an RACI finder in conjunction with "shooting from the hip."  The longer tube helps me aim more accurately and RACI provides a wider target so I'm pretty deadly with this combo even under light polluted skies where I can't see much.

I think most experienced star hoppers are good at "shooting from the hip"...

Jon

I wish it were 73° in my neck of the woods.. It's more like 93° with a heat index of 103.

I also do the "shoot from the hip" mostly in my refractor. Great analogy waytogo.gif I only use the finder on my Apo in parts of the sky that I'm not familiar with or don't have bright 1st or 2nd magnitude stars. I'm pretty good at eye-balling which direction to go when there's a bright target star.

#19 luxo II

luxo II

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 21 July 2019 - 05:07 PM

It is around eighty degrees when I go out to look at Jupiter.

Jupiter is about 80 degrees up, here wink.gif approaching the no-go zone for dobs.

Edited by luxo II, 21 July 2019 - 05:08 PM.

• Jond105 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics