•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What long exposure camera is best

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Slslinde

Slslinde

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 July 2019 - 04:25 PM

The ZWO IS294 pro or QHYCCD 294c

#2 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 21 July 2019 - 12:05 AM

For what?

Alex

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 21 July 2019 - 12:22 AM

This is an eternal question; ZWO or QHY?  The 294s both use exactly the same chip, are more similar than different.  I tend to prefer ZWO because they have a better reputation for customer service and good drivers.  But I've bought QHY when they offered a specific product that I liked.

#4 terry59

terry59

Cosmos

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:21 AM

New QHY183 and CFW3S here....the quality of both is excellent. I'm impressed with how quiet the fan is compared to my 383L+. Really like the integrated filter wheel setup. Drivers installed easily and work just fine

#5 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Aurora

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:55 AM

This is an eternal question; ZWO or QHY?  The 294s both use exactly the same chip, are more similar than different.  I tend to prefer ZWO because they have a better reputation for customer service and good drivers.  But I've bought QHY when they offered a specific product that I liked.

I'll definitely agree that ZWO has excellent customer service, but their drivers have been very hit or miss over the years.  Fortunately they are VERY responsive to fixing driver (and firmware) issues when they pop up. 

The 294 sensor does seem to have it's share of issues however, so I would caution you to do your due diligence and research all of these quirks to find out if they will have an impact on what you intend to do with the camera.  A couple of issues of note are uneven cooling of the sensor as well as strange gradients and patterns if trying to pair narrowband or "triad" type filters. 

These issues are discussed ad nauseam here on the forum so a quick search will yield you lots of information.  Some people have tons of problems with this camera, and yet others seem to have no problems.  But it's worth being aware of the possible challenges you may or may not experience. 

• bobzeq25 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics