•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Return of Planet 7.....

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ower Yonder 01.5ºW. 55ºN (UK)

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:57 AM

Some great seeing here since the Sahara Heat Plume we had back in late June.  Plus some fair to good transparency: the anticipated associated dust surprisingly pretty low-level.........

A goodly number of clear nights along with all that, but diverting busy days – so little time for posting some nice views......but here a simpler/plainer one from this morning’s early rise.....

Uranus.........The planet showing a fairly distinct banded appearance. *Banded* being the collective term for belts & zones.......I reserve *striped* for non-celestials – zebras/butterflies etc. etc. 

Recent apparitions I could not fully convince myself that the duskiness in the NPR was an actual NPC.  Which, due to the increasingly tilting globe, we might expect to see as an increasingly more circular ellipse.  Previous apparitions looking too limb-hugging for the respective globe-tilts for it to be to be an actual cap perhaps; even given the difficulties on such a small disk. This a.m. I became convinced of a lighter tone twixt the limb shading and a more surely elliptical duskiness very suggestive of being the actual NPC.  Even so certainly too diffuse to match of that of Saturn, even allowing for Uranus’ small disk.  With a possibly somewhat less dusky diffuseness surrounding.

A suspected lighter part further ‘south’; in what I figure is a NTZ is marked [intensity] ‘2?’. The suspected NPC ‘fringe’ is marked ‘3?’.

Looks like some fine – tho’ hot – weather coming week........time to replace/renew the observatory (shed!) roof I guess.  All the recent years of repair, starting to look like a patchwork quilt!    

Dave.

URAN 2019 Jul 21.jpg

Edited by David Gray, 21 July 2019 - 08:58 AM.

• Michael11, KidOrion, Rodrigo C. and 13 others like this

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 21 July 2019 - 12:26 PM

David,

Very fine sketching of planet 7. The detail you pick up is always impressive.

Frank

#3 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:09 PM

Dave,

That is some subtle shading--nicely rendered!  like-button.jpg 

#4 Aquarellia

Aquarellia

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Artignosc, Provence, France

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:08 AM

Looking at your sketches it's always a nice gift !   

Michel

#5 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 22 July 2019 - 01:28 PM

Dave,

Very nice sketch of Return of Planet 7..... smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#6 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:54 AM

Thanks Frank, Michael, Michel, Tom, and those who Liked........smile.gif

Not only the return of Uranus, but first off heading out that morning was catching sight of the Pleiades

in the east climbing well clear of the fence.  A lighter dawn sky already creeping after; but it all heralds

the nearing end of all-night twilight at this northern ‘outpost’.......

Neptune and Moon were hoped for that morning but some stubborn cloud never cleared those.

Cheers,
Dave.

#7 Roragi

Roragi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orion arm

Posted 25 July 2019 - 03:36 AM

David,

A really good sketch of Uranus, the details are very subtle as you would see by the scope.

Roberto.

#8 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 July 2019 - 11:55 AM

Thanks Roberto.

Dave.

#9 stanislas-jean

stanislas-jean

Gemini

• -----

Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:21 AM

Hi David,

just saw your data about uranus got on last 21st july.

Valuable and implicating.

The main topic consists in the presence of this cap, darker than the planet disk background.

This is not something appearing as an elusive feature. This is.

You know the opinions about this.

It should be interresting that observers using only a red filter centrered on the 619nm wavelength perform images with.

Personnally, I reported such also last opposition and issued the data on the jpn alpo site.

http://alpo-j.asahik...18/u181210z.htm for one.

The ring surrounding the cap may be there also but it is difficult to catch as per its proximity to the cap. Over the opposition this ring may be variable in lattitude and intensity, marking in a certain way a marker of an atmospheric circulation of the uranian atmosphere. This is conform to the to-day model of the atmospheric circulation of the iced giants.

May I suggest you do on your own data at jpn alpo.

Hoping so.

Stanislas-Jean

• David Gray likes this

#10 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 July 2019 - 04:27 AM

Thanks Stan.......(sorry for late responding)...........

I’m hoping to resume posting on ALPO-Japan in due course..........when life’s current busy times abates: soon I hope.......tongue2.gif

During this time there’s been some good planetary views, but little time to post any of it.

Just last night was superb (for the altitude!) with Jupiter & Saturn and was hoping to delay bedtime to get the outer giants also,

but then cloud. Maybe just as well as a lot to do today; but determined to post the J&S stuff here later today or tomorrow........

Dave.

#11 stanislas-jean

stanislas-jean

Gemini

• -----

Posted 30 July 2019 - 05:57 AM

Thanks a lot David for your response.

I did a look this morning at uranus and reported with difficulty this cap area darker than the whole capping.

However this was performed with a 154mm classical cassegrain.

Data will be issued at the jpn alpo site.

I will try nextly with the 254mm  for a confirmation.

At hubble site, images performed on last february showed a clear cap, but british body showed on the period a picture showing a dark feature on the cap.

This is depending on the wavelength of investigation.

Clear sky.

Stanislas-Jean

resized_Uranus 30.07.19 02H25UT.jpg

• niteskystargazer and David Gray like this

#12 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 30 July 2019 - 01:49 PM

Stanislas-Jean,

Nice sketches smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#13 stanislas-jean

stanislas-jean

Gemini

• -----

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:19 AM

Thanks a lot Tom for your words.

However, David must be congratulated very much more for his data, being the more detailed view of this planet of uranus at present.

My opinion here.

Clear skies.

Stanislas-Jean

#14 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:35 AM

Showed a good and improving disk this a.m.; transparency also gradually improving.  Even with the light-loss of binovu & apodizer I could still pick out Titania & Oberon, and that for some while during the increasing light of dawn (sunrise ~04:30); Ariel was suspected.  A yellowish 11th mag star was about 20” north of Titania.  

More persuaded now about polar features.  At start of session thought to see a lighter area on the presumed NTZ at the rotationally leading/disappearing-limb side.  That seems near longitude 25º-35º; and roughly checking my July 21 view that seems similarly located (WinJUPOS).  A lot of uncertainty at this point....still getting my eye in with the planet......tongue2.gif

Dave.

URAN 2019 Aug 08 II.jpg

Edited by David Gray, 08 August 2019 - 07:58 AM.

• niteskystargazer and Jeff Struve like this

#15 stanislas-jean

stanislas-jean

Gemini

• -----

Posted 09 August 2019 - 10:58 AM

Hi David,

I think the polar features, north cap and double ring are obvious, well captured.

The double ring was captured also through the 254 newtonian 25% CO with optical acuracy present on.

Now regarding the patch on the clear band this may something on discusion, from my opinion a brightening staying on those CM values.

I didn't use an adc, prefering the yellow filter use for improving the contrasts, that was significantly under 400x magnification and 40° planet elevation.

But this patch is more than suspected from my opinion and observations.

Will see later, didn't meet good nights since the 3rd august (my forum here on CN sketching).

Faithfully.

Stanislas-Jean

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics