•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nikon D3100 - What software can process this camera's raw format?

astrophotography beginner
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joseph.gagnon

joseph.gagnon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New Hampshire, USA

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:02 AM

I took a number of unguided images of the 2017 solar eclipse with my Nikon D3100. The images were saved in its "raw" format, which I believe is a .nef file. I'm having a very hard time finding astrophotography image processing software that handles this format. I've found a couple apps that show a list of DSLRs they work with and this model is not listed.

Are there any software applications that can handle this file type?

#2 David-LR

David-LR

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: AR

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:10 AM

Deep sky stacker, Nebulosity, Pixinsight - All should be able to handle Nikon raw files. They all use DC camera raw.  Also you can just open solar eclipse images in Photoshop or Lightroom.

#3 David-LR

David-LR

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:11 AM

I thought I would add that deep sky stacker is free - download and give it a try.

Edited by David-LR, 21 July 2019 - 09:12 AM.

#4 joseph.gagnon

joseph.gagnon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:24 AM

Hmm, I just downloaded Nebulosity (played around with it a couple years ago, but not much). I could open a file and see that it's an eclipse image, but it shows as greyscale. I don't know what to do next with it.

#5 joseph.gagnon

joseph.gagnon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:30 AM

I went to the Deep Sky Stacker site and tried to download. After clicking the download link nothing happens. I notice the download link links to a github site. Do I need to get it from there?

UPDATED:

Yes, I downloaded it from the github site and ran its installer. I am able to open my .nef images and they do show color. I know nothing about image processing so now I have to figure out what I should do next.

Edited by joseph.gagnon, 21 July 2019 - 09:47 AM.

#6 David-LR

David-LR

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:43 AM

Go to YouTube and type in "deep sky stacker tutorials".

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics