•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My First Unplanned Outreach

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sec4aa

sec4aa

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:48 AM

Vanderbilt Planetarium here in Long Island NY had a very nice presentation last night for the 50th Anniversary of the Moon Landing.

A couple of members from the Astronomical Society of Long Island were on hand with telescopes to view Jupiter and Saturn.

I am not a member there, but I go to Vanderbilt all the time for their laser shows (Pink Floyd, Queen, etc) so I decided to go there with my telescope and join them.

One of their member had a car problem and I ended up sitting in for him as part of the outreach program.

Very pleasant experience, interesting conversations and probably more than 40 people looking, starting from 5yo to 70yo.

• Toups, aa5te, MikeTahtib and 2 others like this

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 21 July 2019 - 03:10 PM

Nice simple outreach I find enjoyable, and yours sounded just like that.

Actually wonder if Ed was there, maybe it was his car playing up lol.gif lol.gif

Sure he is around that area and it would seem the type of event he would attend - maybe on vacation I suppose.

For the 50th anniversary just a shame the moon rose somewhat too late for most.

Here the big one halts during DST as the nights are considered too light. So I get bored for about 6 months. When they are running it is good fun to take part in.

Get many questions?

#3 sec4aa

sec4aa

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 21 July 2019 - 03:44 PM

Got lots of questions about the price of equipment, my civil life profession!? , the nature of Saturn rings, the features visible on Jupiter and so on...

I think Ed goes somewhere that we like to call here "out east"...Custer Institute in Southold.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics