•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eyepieces for SN Meade

eyepieces
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 oszolom

oszolom

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kalisz Poland

Posted 21 July 2019 - 04:11 PM

Hi.

I bought Smidt Newton 10" by Meade.

It's F=4 telescope.

What do you think, which eyepiece will be good for this telescope?.

I think about 3 pcs.

20-25mm.

9-11mm

6-7mm.

#2 J.LAMBIE

J.LAMBIE

Vostok 1

Posted 21 July 2019 - 04:38 PM

Yes.      And barlow.

#3 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 July 2019 - 06:25 PM

Seems like a good plan. Just add a barlow or short FL like 3mm to crank it up for planets. I loved my ES 24/82 with my SN.

Scott

#4 vkhastro1

vkhastro1

Apollo

• Loc: Vankleek Hill, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:35 PM

This is my take on the Schmidt-Newtonian.

I own the Meade SN10 (10” f/4), SN8 (8” f/4) (x2) and the Celestron Comet Catcher 5.5” f/3.64 (x4 - 2 single units and a pair in a Bino-Telescope).

I have owned my 1st Celestron Comet Catcher since its 1st release in the early 80’s and my Meade 10” when it was 1st released. I have over 35 years of experience with this design. All have been variously modified for visual use - upgraded Moonlite dual rate focuser, internal  flocking, flocked dew shields, anti-dewstraps, optimal collimation, etc. 

It is a dedicated RFT (Rich Field Scope) and not a planetary scope.

The central obstructions vary from just 30% (SN6 which is f/5) to about 38% (SN8). 

If you are looking for a planetary Catadioptric scope look to the Mak-Newtonian (MN) f/6 versions by Ceravolo and Intes).

I have several MN from 5” to 8” - they rival similar size true APOs on lunar/planetary due to their ~16%-20% central obstructions.

The f/4 Schmidt-Newtonians (SN) have the coma of a f/5 Newtonian. 

An f/5 Newtonian is definitely improved by a coma corrector - so is the SN 

I prefer the Baader MPCC (Multipurpose Coma Corrector) because there is no increase in f/ratio - f/4 is f/4.

A Televue Paracorr works perfectly but the f/ratio is increased by 15% - f/4.6 for SN8 and SN10

I am in my mid - 60s, so I prefer a maximum exit pupil of 5.5mm (younger eyes go to 7mm).

I also prefer wider AFOV eyepieces, the wider the better, the longer the eye relief the better (I do not wear my glasses to observe) - these eyepieces push the RFT viewing experience to another level in the SN.

The following eyepieces 2” (with Baader MPCC) are excellent low power eyepieces - TV Nagler 22mm and 17mm Type 4, APM 20mm 100°, and my absolute favourite ES 17mm 92° (Also amazing without a coma corrector)

Excellent 1.25” low power eyepieces with MPCC - TV 24mm Panoptic, APM 24mm FF, TV 22mm Panoptic, Vixen/Orion 

22mm LVW (also without MPCC), TV 19mm Panoptic 

My mid power favourites (with or without MPCC) - 2” ES 12mm 92° Or APM 13mm 100°

1.25” - Doctor 12.5, APM 12.5mm 84°, Baader Morpheus 12.5mm

My Meade SN8s both optically start to breakdown (mainly due observing conditions, not the Optics) at 6mm, my SN10 at 7mm. At higher powers I prefer the APM 9mm 100°, Baader Morpheus 9mm and 6.5mm

Other excellent eyepiece choices are the TV Ethos and Delos and Pentax XW and XL 

The Schmidt-Newtonian is one of my favourite telescopes designs !

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eyepieces

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics