•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Room for a Sky Watcher 140mm ED doublet?

refractor
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:17 PM

If you had made a 140, people would be clamoring for a 150. You can't win.

Nailed it. 

#27 watchplanets

watchplanets

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:39 PM

Nailed it. 

well only the people who were asking for 150

there could be a market for both how many of each would sell not sure but if u look at every company that made a 6"f/8 acro how many have sold since 99 and they there was also companies that made the 6"f/6.5 or the 6f/5 acros how many those sold? 

just saying a 140ed and a 150ed could survivie tighter one scope for 1 set of people another for the other nothing wrong with that. everyone has a preference on size and weight and length.

• 25585 likes this

#28 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:47 PM

Don't get me wrong, there is room for a 140. A 140 is a nice size to have, I will be the first one to say a TEC140 is a really nice size that fits for many people in comparison to larger 150s. 

At some point we just need to look at what is going to work well and if that time would be better spent moving towards other new projects. 

• junomike and Bomber Bob like this

#29 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 22 July 2019 - 03:51 PM

I don't envy these companies trying to gauge and/or guide this market...

Best I can tell, owners rave about the S-W 120ED, and the S-W 150ED has been well-received.  How many Large ED buyers are out there?  If they already have the 120, how many would want a 140 or 150?  If this will be their first S-W purchase, will they lean towards the 150?  

I went straight to a 6" F8 ED; and, I gotta admit, it's cool to say, "I'm gonna take out the 6" refractor tonight."  I had a pretty good idea of what that involved, as the APM weighs less than my antique Tinsley 6" F20 Cassegrain.  In my case, a 130ED might be a better aperture.  It needs to offer a step-up from my two 4" Classic refractors, without the 150's mount requirements.  Or, if I knew that the S-W 120ED is a large enough jump...  See what I mean?  All these options are great for the buyer, but the companies have to stay in business, too.

Seems to me these companies do listen to the buyers.  When a number of us clamor for a particular aperture, they do respond.  

#30 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 22 July 2019 - 04:34 PM

At some point it doesn't work to manufacturer a ton of different sizes, especially when the jump isn't that big. We have questions about why we don't make a 130 as well. For us the line works with the 72, 80, 100,120 and 150. That is a fair amount of choices and usually one of these will fill the need of someone looking at these scopes. There is a lot to consider when working on new products and we understand that we will not always have the ideal need. 

For some they want a fast 150mm f/7 or f/6. Others want f/12 and long focal ranges. Others want larger 7" models and some want ultra small scopes for travel. The requests are all over the map and we try to take input when we can as most companies probably do. At the end of the day we need to figure what is probably the best all around fit for what we can bring to market. A 140, I agree, is a excellent size, but realistically we have two nice fitting scopes around that size to fit most needs. It took several years for the 150 to become a reality, a 140 I would say is unlikely at this time. Not impossible, but we have other things on the burners right now. 

Edited by skyward_eyes, 22 July 2019 - 04:36 PM.

• belgrade, Heywood, Peter Besenbruch and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics