•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX85 Alignment Fail

equipment Meade mount
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Splodger

Splodger

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:34 PM

Hi,

I have a new LX85 Mount and I'm having serious alignment problems.

After properly Polar Aligning the scope when I go to Easy Align with the hand controller the mount points in a completely different direction. and I have been following the Step-by-Step instructions in the manual I have repeated the process numerous times to no avail. I have also reset the controller several times. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

#2 Andynator

Andynator

Explorer 1

• Loc: West Central Ohio, USA

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:37 PM

In a completely different direction from what - the first alignment star? Check to make sure you are setting the date in the correct format. I don't remember, but it may be DD/MM/YYYY instead of MM/DD/YYYY.
  • Splodger and Manotas12 like this

#3 Splodger

Splodger

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:14 PM

In a completely different direction from what - the first alignment star? Check to make sure you are setting the date in the correct format. I don't remember, but it may be DD/MM/YYYY instead of MM/DD/YYYY.

Correct, from the alignment star. Time and date are correct, as is location. 

• Manotas12 likes this

#4 EdIII

EdIII

Vostok 1

• Loc: Florence, SC

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:25 PM

I understand you are saying the location is correct. Still, I would check the e/w, n/s again just to be sure. It’s common to get something backwards and miss it when checking.

Ed

• Manotas12 likes this

#5 Andynator

Andynator

Explorer 1

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:43 PM

I might also suggest skipping the Easy Align and trying the 2-Star or 3-Star alignment instead; and report back what happens.

Edit: you can check alignment without the scope mounted and using Google star maps, just to see if it's pointing in the general correct direction.

Edited by Andynator, 21 July 2019 - 09:51 PM.

• Manotas12 likes this

#6 Starry Acres

Starry Acres

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:12 AM

Hi I had the same problem. I have had my mount for about 2 weeks now and last night was the first chance I had to set it up. I was able to Polar align but when the mount went to the first align star it was no where near where it should be. So after a bit of bad language I found this post. It did not help as the date is set up with day month year              22-Jul-2019. So I started reading the book. It occurred to me that the hand unit was just a computer, so under the SETUP I did a reset of the system. This took everything back to factory settings. Went through the start up process and when it went to the first align star, Arcturus, it was almost dead center of the finder scope!! I parked the scope turned it off waited a few then did everything again and all was working. Alignment went well and when I selected Jupiter the mount put the scope so close I did not really need to recenter for the camera! So try to reset the system and see if that works for you.

Good luck

• EdIII and Manotas12 like this

#7 Manotas12

Manotas12

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 September 2019 - 06:03 PM

Hi everyone, this is a sad asking for help. Last month I buy a Meade Lx85 mount. Happy to finally have a equatorial mount I open the box. Beautiful equipment. After checking everything I assembly the unit. Them, didn't power on. After checking power supply and plug connector I encounter that a was a defective plug. Solved that part, the mount started with the audiostar hand control. The mount was advertised with out polar scope. Well, put in a corner of my house and ordered s polar scope. Two weeks later, yesterday, arrived. In short, the declination axe is working no good. When start to turn in some point seems like is tired, the sound change like slow. And in some point try to stop. My ota Is a 90mm Aquila. And I used a 2 pound weight to balance. I take the ota and the counterweight out and by hand control turn the declination, and after few seconds go slow and like something is prevented it to turn. I do manually and turn, but also, after cuarter of turn become a bit difficult. This was de second time I turned on. First time was okay, nothing out of normal happen that day, but now this. I know, send it back, ok, I am on a small island, Bonaire, shipping was up $300, I buy this for Adorama, eBay, Meade only offer warranty to the first person. So this is the Matt, send it back if they accept will be $400, and bring it $350, no way for me. I don't have that money. So, here I am, asking for help. 

Edited by Manotas12, 06 September 2019 - 06:06 PM.

#8 Andynator

Andynator

Explorer 1

Posted 06 September 2019 - 07:56 PM

Manotas12,

Hello, I'm not understanding a few things in your post.

You bought the mount new or used?

The LX85 sold new does not have a power supply included. And you state there were problems with the power supply and plug. So, are you using the correct or compatible power supply (12 volt, 5 amp)?

Finally, if you bought the mount new, and are returning it to the retailer, they should be issuing you a pre-paid return shipping label. Is this not the case?

#9 Manotas12

Manotas12

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:04 PM

Hi, thanks for asking, the mount was new, but delivered to a location on Miami, then a local company send it to Bonaire, so, the actually policy will apply on USA, but is no cover Bonaire Miami. That is how the shipping cost go to the sky, $350 to deliver here based on weight.So if Adorama is ok, still put the mount back on Miami and bring it back.
The plug and the power supply was no a real issue, that was solved quick. Today I tested one more time and seems is everything ok. I left the mount near by a freezer and cover, that was a bit warm place, and that night I put it outside, I was wondering maby the temperature do some. No clue. But today works very good. I am still not sure, but the other hand, the very first day was also no problem. So I don't have clear what can be. Grease issue? Some deformation due the temperature changes? No clue but I hope continued good as is today.
I am open to any clue about this issue, what can be.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics