•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 Moon landing starparty

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SteelStar

SteelStar

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:32 PM

My astronomy club (Oklahoma City Astronomy) hosted a star party for the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon landing Saturday night (July 20th). We had members with about 30 scopes and binos set up along with a couple of tents with displays and handouts. There were ~400 or so visitors who got to see Jupiter and Saturn,double stars, and ring nebula before the Moon finally rose late to become a star in the show. The weather was hot but a nice breeze felt good as it got dark and cooled. All in all it was a great event with a great turnout of members and visitors.

https://youtu.be/upfUS67AsM0

edit: Each volunteer received a commemorative pin as well. Pretty cool! cool.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1500 (3).JPG

Edited by SteelStar, 21 July 2019 - 09:11 PM.

• ccs_hello, Jim Waters, Jeff Struve and 3 others like this

#2 Okcman

Okcman

Explorer 1

• Loc: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:02 PM

I too attended , had a great time - I came as a guest and  brought my C6R refractor ,  but didn't even know about the pins of course I am not a member of the OKC astronomy club , I recognize under your signature that you were the guy with the with the 150 mm APM/Lunt - I was so busy sharing my views of the sky with some of the visitors I only got to look through your scope , a 12 inch dob , and a few others- although your count was 30 members - somebody came through and was up to a forties count  I appreciate the club hosting the event - it let me have a perspective of the diverse scopes that were out there , as well as try a few eyepieces 

Edited by Okcman, 23 July 2019 - 09:03 PM.

#3 Diana N

Diana N

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:45 PM

Sounds like a great outreach session, with everyone involved having fun.  And that pin is a nifty bonus!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics