•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Precision EIG optics

binoculars
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cometman1998

cometman1998

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:24 PM

I have been looking for information on a pair of binoculars an old WW II vet gave me and have been unable to find any information on them and am hoping that someone here can help me.

The binoculars are black prisms with this writing on the left - Precision    EIG   Optics    Coated Optics

and on the right side holding them to your eyes  --- 7X50   

Field of View

At 1000 yards  372 ft.

NO.  634238

in the front round centerpiece the one word written is-

Japan

The VET told me a strange story of a battle with German soldiers and how he took these binoculars off a dead German soldier after the battle.

Anyone that can direct me to any information on these binoculars can write me at -

cometman1998@yahoo.com

Thank you,

Patrick Stonehouse

C/1998/H1

Attached Thumbnails

• binoculars EIG.jpg

#2 Mike G.

Mike G.

Apollo

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:00 AM

They look a lot newer than 1940’s era. More like ‘60’s-70’s. But I’m no expert. Others will certainly be more authoritative than me. 

#3 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• Loc: Frankfurt, Germany

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:02 AM

The English writing and use of „yards“ and “ft” instead of „meters“ should be a giveaway that these where not taken from a German soldier. Back then few Germans spoke English and binoculars issued to German soldiers had German language markings and metric FoV indicators. Also, almost all military binoculars back then had reticules for range finding as that was the whole point of issuing them to a solder.

These look like run-of-the-mill 60’s to 70’s “Made in Japan” 7x50’s sold under hundreds of different brand names. Check for JB/JL numbers on the front side of the bridge.

Edited by Mad Matt, 23 July 2019 - 01:05 AM.

• hallelujah and Pinac like this

#4 Cory Suddarth

Cory Suddarth

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Henryetta, OK. USA

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:55 AM

I see these all day long! Japanese for sure! 60's ish. The very next identical production run said Manon, or Scope, or, Wards, or Kalimar, or, Crestline, or Selsi, or Tasco, or Hoya, or Mercury, or Omega, or maybe Comet Man.  

Cory

• Mad Matt, hallelujah, SMark and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: binoculars

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics