•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How do I use StarNet++?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 AKHalea

AKHalea

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:54 PM

I have heard a lot of good things about StarNet++ for removing stars from an image so I can stretch the nebulosity wihout fear if blowing out the stars. So, I downloaded StarNet++ for removing stars from my stacked images. However, there is no GUI for it and one has to somehow go to C prompt to get this operation done. I have not yet had success in using it. I tried copying one of my image TIF files (16 bit) into the StarNet++ folder, it does not get copied for some reason. Is there a simpler way to use it? I don't use PI, but do use StarTools. Does anyone have a simplified workflow from downloading onto an example for removing stars from a linear image? Much appreciate any help ..... Anil

#2 mashirts

mashirts

Ranger 4

• Loc: Elgin, TX

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:23 PM

I failed to run it as well. My problem was that I need a more recent processor or cpu. It uses an instruction set that only newer cpu's have.

#3 mashirts

mashirts

Ranger 4

• Loc: Elgin, TX

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:27 PM

Maybe you have gone through this thread:

https://www.cloudyni...oving-software/

#4 pfile

pfile

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:34 PM

most of the garbage i spewed in that thread was about the MacOS command line rather than windows.

just FYI starnet++ won't work on a linear image. you need to stretch it first and then save it as 16-bit tiff, making sure to turn off the alpha channel.

as far as your actual problem with the windows command line i think unless i went to a windows machine and went thru it first, i'd invariably say something wrong. but the gist of it is that you need to open the command line processor and then change directories to the starnet++ folder and then run starnet from there.

rob

#5 2ghouls

2ghouls

Viking 1

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:46 AM

Hi Anil, 

There should have been a README file included that explains how to use the program.

You actually don't need to directly use Windows command line, because a .bat file (small script) is included that will call the cmd line for you. You can just copy your photo into the folder, edit the .bat file with the name of your photo and then double-click the .bat file. 

Before you do that though, you should just double-click the .bat file and make sure Starnet++ can run without error on your system.  A test file is included for this purpose. If you already messed with the contents of the folder, I would just re-download it, and do this test first.

Cheers, Nico

#6 AKHalea

AKHalea

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:14 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I did not realize that I have to use a stretched file. I tried that just now and it still did not work. I must be doing something wrong. 

I had read the README file, but for me it was not easy to understand what it meant (a bit of my own shortcoming). I also tried to drag a copy of my file into the StarNet++ folder but it does not go into the folder for some reason. It stays outside, so it is hard for me run the .bat file with my own image file. But I will try a different way next time and see if I succeed. Thanks again ..... Anil

#7 2ghouls

2ghouls

Viking 1

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:30 AM

I also tried to drag a copy of my file into the StarNet++ folder but it does not go into the folder for some reason. It stays outside, so it is hard for me run the .bat file with my own image file. 

Maybe the folder is still zipped? If you right click, there should be an option to 'extract' or something like that. Once you have the folder un-zipped, you should be able to move it around and add files to it like any other folder. Good luck!!

#8 CharlesW

CharlesW

Long time member

• ***--
  • Loc: Chula Vista, CA

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:45 AM

Watch the YouTube video. 

#9 AKHalea

AKHalea

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:47 PM

Charles : I still have trouble with it. Do you have link to the YouTube video? ..... Anil

#10 Pauls72

Pauls72

Vanguard

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:19 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=Uayg_CMwzJo

#11 AKHalea

AKHalea

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 July 2019 - 03:49 PM

Thanks, Paul. I had seen that video before. I am still not able to run StarNet++, so it must be something with my system or my workflow that it does not like. Anyway, thanks to everyone who tried to help ..... Anil

#12 AKHalea

AKHalea

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:27 PM

OK, finally I made it work. I did not realize the syntax in the .bat file so it did not run. I did manage a nice starless version of my Blue Horsehead (IC 4592) that looks good. So, thanks again for everyone's help ..... Anil

• 2ghouls likes this

#13 2ghouls

2ghouls

Viking 1

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:55 PM

That's great Anil! Very glad you got it working.

#14 Ivo Jager

Ivo Jager

Vendor ( Star Tools )

• Vendors
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:54 AM

Hi Anil,

You can actually use StarNet's output in StarTools on linear data.

Here is how (it's probably longer than needed, but I'm trying to be thorough and catch cases where the Starless image has been normalized as well);

1. Load the (stretched) StarNet input (e.g. with stars still in place) image in StarTools. Don't turn Tracking on.
  2. Launch the Layer module.
  3. Load the (stretched) StarNet output (e.g. with stars removed) image in the Layer module.
  4. Set Layer Mode to "Difference". You could skip to step 9 here, but the following steps may be needed if the Starless image has been normalized.
  5. Click Copy.
  6. Click Paste Foreground.
  7. Set Layer Mode to "Multiply Foreground Only".
  8. Set Blend Amount to 500%.
  9. Keep the result.
  10. Launch the Develop module.
  11. Set Skyglow to 49%.
  12. Keep the result.
  13. Save the image.
  14. Now load your linear image into StarTools. Don't turn Tracking on just yet.
  15. Launch the Heal module.
  16. In the Mask editor, load the image you just saved as a mask. StarTools will automatically convert it into a mask and all stars should be correctly selected at this point.
  17. Back in the Heal module, your stars will be healed out using the mask.
  18. Keep the result.
  19. Turn Tracking on & process as normal.

Let me know how this works for you!

Edited by Ivo Jager, 24 July 2019 - 01:55 AM.

#15 AKHalea

AKHalea

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 July 2019 - 03:34 PM

Ivo : Great to hear from you. Thanks for your detailed response. I will try it out soon and write a post here in a few days ...... Anil

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics