•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Whitecat 51 and OIII filter with stock Pentax K-1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Astronomy4You

Astronomy4You

Vendor - Astronomy4You

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Orange County CA

Posted 22 July 2019 - 01:01 AM

I live under fairly light polluted skies. I don't get a chance to get to dark skies often enough for my tastes between what I call the WWF factor (Work, Weather, Family).

My main set up is a Losmandy G-11, Pentax K-1 and a variety of lenses and telescopes. I recently picked up a Whitecat 51, and while I love it, it's useless in my backyard. I've got an OIII filter and I decided to see how it would work with the K-1 and Whitecat.

Below are Mono versions (about 20 min total each) since the OIII filter on a DSLR gives a weird green color that I can't reconvert to normal coloration.

I shot the Veil Nebula and it's the first time I was able to capture the whole thing. I obviously need more time on the Veil, but so far I'm impressed with the combination of the Whitecat and K-1.

I've got an Optolong L-Enhance filter on it's way to me. this looks like it might be the solution to my issues.

Attached Thumbnails

• cn_Veil.jpg

#2 Astronomy4You

Astronomy4You

Vendor - Astronomy4You

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2019 - 01:02 AM

The Lagoon and Trifid were nice and bright, and I can't wait to reshoot these in color from a dark site. I was amazed at how large the Lagoon really is. When I was shooting it, it was just above the trees in my back yard, and if it was as close as Orion is, it would be far brighter than the Orion Nebula is.

Attached Thumbnails

• cn_m8_M20_DSS_Stack.jpg

Edited by Astronomy4You, 22 July 2019 - 01:03 AM.

#3 Pete_xl

Pete_xl

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:52 AM

Hi,

my impression is that a lot of the dim data are clipped and I wonder what had happened to the stars. May I ask what parameters you have set and which software you use?

I used a stock K3ii and had a lot of fun with it. The only narrowband filter that worked (a bit) was a 12 nm Ha but only on bright Ha-targets.  For the Veil Nebula and also for the Lagoon I would expect the K-1 to perform better without any filter than with an Oiii.

Pete

#4 Astronomy4You

Astronomy4You

Vendor - Astronomy4You

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:27 AM

Hi,

my impression is that a lot of the dim data are clipped and I wonder what had happened to the stars. May I ask what parameters you have set and which software you use?

I used a stock K3ii and had a lot of fun with it. The only narrowband filter that worked (a bit) was a 12 nm Ha but only on bright Ha-targets.  For the Veil Nebula and also for the Lagoon I would expect the K-1 to perform better without any filter than with an Oiii.

Pete

As stars don't glow much in OIII wavelength, they won't show up that much. I did do some star reduction as well to better show the nebula.

I used a combination of DSS, Pixinsight and Photoshop for processing. 

As for my stock K-1, it does great from dark skies, but this was an experiment in shooting narrow band in light polluted skies with a DSLR.

If you want to see other pictures from the K-1, check out my gallery http://www.craigbobchinphotography.com

Edited by Astronomy4You, 22 July 2019 - 08:28 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics