•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade ETX Deluxe Field Tripod 883

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Starrynightowl89

Starrynightowl89

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:17 AM

Hey everyone! It's been a little while but I am having a problem that I'm hoping I may find a solution to. I have, as the title suggests, a Deluxe Field Tripod 883 for an ETX-90RA. I bought it for $30 used but it has been over tightened I'm afraid and the legs have started to slip and now the turn knobs at the bottom of each leg will not hold the leg in position. I have folded up a piece of cardboard accordingly on each leg and stuffed it down in there so that it puts adequate, but not overbearing pressure on these legs for the time being. I'm wondering if I should go with another tripod completely or if this one truly is worth it. I would at least like to think it is. Any suggestions are appreciated as always and clear skies!

#2 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:45 AM

I had the same issue with an 883 so would recommend the 884.

Edited by rolo, 22 July 2019 - 07:45 AM.

• Steve Cox and Starrynightowl89 like this

#3 Starrynightowl89

Starrynightowl89

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:46 PM

I had the same issue with an 883 so would recommend the 884.

Thank you. The list of equipment seem to be never ending and I can't afford much but those views are spectacular and will hopefully be worth the wait. My youngest daughter was born July 5, 2019 so I have my priorities of course.

#4 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:45 AM

Thank you. The list of equipment seem to be never ending and I can't afford much but those views are spectacular and will hopefully be worth the wait. My youngest daughter was born July 5, 2019 so I have my priorities of course.

Congratulations waytogo.gif

Another way you could setup your scope is table-top style. A cheap, simple, DIY type of setup, but it will do the job. I got my ETX125 a few years ago, and it came with a really good steel tripod. Idk how your ETX90 attaches to the tripod, but if it has two bolt threads on the base underneath the scope, it should attach to this one. It's listed as $186 on Meade's website, but you may could find another retailer that sells it for less. Link below:

https://www.meade.co...tx125-1015.html

#5 Starrynightowl89

Starrynightowl89

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:41 PM

Actually I do have the three legs that attach to the base of the telescope for a tabletop setup. Unfortunately, I haven't messed with it much in that way. I do prefer to have a working tripod. For now I've stuffed thick pieces of cardboard into a place that allows the turn screws to push more l which works effectively for now. I just went over the list of some things related to astronomy and telescopes that I need to look for when possible. I wish I could luck up and find something at thrift stores or be the person that gets some stuff donated to. I always hear those stories and they are inspiring. 😁

#6 StarBurger

StarBurger

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: North Country NY

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:48 PM

Could you not acquire three hose clamps of the correct diameter to encircle each leg at the right point ?

Won't even need any tightening screws.

Crude but possibly effective. Infinitely adjustable....

• Starrynightowl89 likes this

#7 Starrynightowl89

Starrynightowl89

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:37 PM

I apologize for the delay but yes I could do that as well. I might actually try to do that ultimately until I can afford to get another tripod and then I could just keep this one as a backup. There is another tripod I have with a great locking mechanism for the legs but it won't fit on the 883.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics