•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkyView Pro stupid mistake

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 oldguy47

oldguy47

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Wyoming

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:36 PM

Last year I bought a new Orion SkyView Pro mount and also the SVP GoTo Upgrade Kit.  The mount has worked great and I like it.  I wanted to control the mount via wifi and I already have a Synscan Wifi adapter that works great with my other 2 Orion alt/az mounts.  So I got everything set up, unplugged the HC and plugged in the wifi.  When I turned the mount on I immediately smelled something like burned insulation.  No response from the mount.  Plugged the HC back in and now got the message "Can't respond to either axis".  Oh oh!  Got to checking because I now know I probably messed up the motor control module.  In checking, I saw that I had not switched the short connection cable on the wifi adapter from the smaller 4 pin end (used for alt/az mounts) to the 6 pin end (used for eq mounts).  Pretty easy to do.  Even though the 4 pin end is narrower than the 6 pin, it will easily plug in to the receptacle.  Hoping I can buy just the motor control module instead of having to buy the whole SVP upgrade kit.  Wish the manual would have said "Don't plug the 4 pin cable in to an eq mount".  Anyway, my bad.  Should have known better.  Just a bit of advice so someone else doesn't do this.

• jeremiah2229 likes this

#2 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Viking 1

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:47 PM

Yikes. After reading some Celestron motor board horror stories, I have the non HC ports on my mount taped over so I don't do something similar!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics