•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Q about Small portable power device

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 calypsob

calypsob

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:50 PM

I came across this today on ebay https://www.ebay.com...C4XsiiM5jKjHtDw

I have been wanting to get a power pack to run a small star tracker that fits in a back pack and this seems to fit the bill.

What I like so far: Its small, has a big velcro strap, and the USER has control over each battery in the container.

This means if a battery becomes unbalanced I can easily figure out the culprit with a voltmeter and replace it. 

I think for such low draw devices such as a skytracker the springs would work fine, instead of the typical spot welded connections you see in bigger configurations. 

What Im wondering now is if I can change out these lithium ions for Lifepo4 sized 18650's? It seems that the Lions are 3.7v where the Lifepo4 are typically 3.2-3.3v

so Im not sure if this would upset the BMS if I tried to change them out and charge them.

#2 calypsob

calypsob

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:29 AM

The seller tells me you cannot use Lifepo4 18650s in place of lithium ion. I am not exactly sure why but assume it is related to the BMS. Its still a great deal as compared to your typical Anker power packs because each individual battery is user serviceable and can be swapped out with the best quality Samsung 18650's  if you so desire. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics