•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PowerNewt Arrived Today - Made in Taiwan?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 John Tucker

John Tucker

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 94606

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:59 PM

After some 10 weeks, but glad it showed up before the new moon next week!

Interestingly, in spite of Teleskop Express's website copy about "Mass produced Chinese telescopes" it arrived in a box prominently labeled "Made in Taiwan".  Hopefully this will be the same quality scope as I've heard of, as the prices definitely didn't go down!

The box is a lot smaller than I imagined would be needed to provide adequate packing, so I'll probably have someone videotape me unboxing it.  

Will post something next week after getting it out in the field. 

Edited by John Tucker, 22 July 2019 - 03:01 PM.

• durak likes this

#2 durak

durak

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 22 July 2019 - 03:19 PM

8" or 10"? 

#3 John Tucker

John Tucker

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2019 - 03:40 PM

8" or 10"? 

Just the 6 inch.  I have an 8 inch SCT that I operate at 1200 to 2000 mm (with or without focal reducer) and wanted to try something wide angle.  Also its windy here in Texas, and I figured the 6 inch would be less of a sail. 

I also picked up a non-reducing corrector so I can run it at F4/600mm

Edited by John Tucker, 22 July 2019 - 03:42 PM.

• durak and elmiko like this

#4 durak

durak

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 22 July 2019 - 03:44 PM

Just the 6 inch.  I have an 8 inch SCT that I operate at 1200 to 2000 mm (with or without focal reducer) and wanted to try something wide angle.  Also its windy here in Texas, and I figured the 6 inch would be less of a sail. 

I also picked up a non-reducing corrector so I can run it at F4/600mm

Ah,  I have only ever seen the 8" and 10" versions. Can't wait to hear how "first light" goes.

#5 RogeZ

RogeZ

Apollo

• Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:48 PM

What camera are you using with it? It will be a fun little scope :)

#6 Stephen Kennedy

Stephen Kennedy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California

Posted 23 July 2019 - 05:31 AM

If it was made in Taiwan, it was probably made by Guan Sheng Optical (GSO).  They are a Taiwan based companies that has production facilities both in Taiwan and  mainland China.  I think that the tend to produce their higher end products in Taiwan.  Although it is sometimes claimed that the mechanics, such as the focusers, on GSO telescopes, most people tend to agree that the optical quality of their mirrors is very good.

I purchased a TPO RC6 which is a 6" F/9 Ritchey-Cretien Cassagrain reflector that arrived safely in a box prominently labeled "made in Taiwan".  So far I have no complaints about mechanical issues and the optics are really very good.

I do not think that people fully understand the magnitude of GSO's accomplishment in introducing their line of RC telescopes that definitely provide value for your dollar.  RCs were made in limited quantities by a few high makers that charged extremely high prices for them saying that high prices were unavoidable due to the fact that the concave hyperparaboloidal primary mirror and the convex hyperparaboloidal secondary mirror used in these telescopes are extremely difficult to make and test.  A little over 10 years ago Meade brought a new line of telescopes out that they claimed were RCs just like the HST and the majority of other professional observatory telescopes.  They charged significantly higher prices for them than their regular SCTs but still much less than  the established RC producers prices.  These RC producers cried "foul", according to them the Mead RCs were nothing more than SCTs with a few modifications and sued Meade for false advertising.  The courts agreed with the traditional RC producers and ordered Meade to cease marketing their telescopes as RCs. However.just a few later GSO began producing and selling what they claimed were RCs at prices even lower than what Meade had charged for their pseudo-RCs.  This time the traditional RC makers, some have since gone out of business, could not object since the GSO RC was probably more faithful to the actual design of George Ritchey and Henri Cretien created than the RCs being made by companies such as RCOS.

Somehow, GSO figured out a way to mass produce at low cost and excellent quality there very difficult to make and test mirrors.  They have also been very good at keeping their method secret as evidenced by the fact that they still have no competitors for reasonably priced RC telescopes.

• elmiko and John Tucker like this

#7 John Tucker

John Tucker

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:28 AM

What camera are you using with it? It will be a fun little scope smile.gif

What camera are you using with it? It will be a fun little scope smile.gif

Just a DSLR for now.  I killed this year's astrophotography budget getting this scope with both the reducing and non-reducing correctors.

#8 John Tucker

John Tucker

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:36 AM

After some 10 weeks, but glad it showed up before the new moon next week!

Interestingly, in spite of Teleskop Express's website copy about "Mass produced Chinese telescopes" it arrived in a box prominently labeled "Made in Taiwan".  Hopefully this will be the same quality scope as I've heard of, as the prices definitely didn't go down!

The box is a lot smaller than I imagined would be needed to provide adequate packing, so I'll probably have someone videotape me unboxing it.  

Will post something next week after getting it out in the field. 

Contents of the box were fine. 

One minor complaint re the rings and the dovetail:  The rings were obviously designed with a specific rail in mind, as they have dimples next to each screw hole to ensure that the rings are perpendicular to the dovetail, but the provided dovetail does not interact with them.  I asked Teleskop Service to provide the best dovetail for this particular scope, and what they sent is a generic "you can attach any scope to this dovetail" item that has some 50 holes and which seems to me a bit on the short side for a scope of this length.

There is a second set of screw holes on the rings 180 degrees away from those for the dovetail that appears to be intended for a handle or a second rigidifying bar, but nothing was provided with the scope.  These screw holes are threaded but are an odd size that does not correspond to any English or Metric screw available at Home Depot.  

Also, given that this is a fairly expensive scope by Newtonian standards, it would have been nice if they had included screws for attaching the dovetail plate to the rings, but I suppose this is a minor point.  The threaded holes on the other side of the rings will have to be re-drilled if I decide to use them for rigidification. 

Edited by John Tucker, 23 July 2019 - 07:41 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics