•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Motorizing EQ-5 / EXOS-2

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kenadelman

kenadelman

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: MA, VT

Posted 22 July 2019 - 04:19 PM

Hi y'all. This is my first post here, so be gentle with me...grin.gif

I own a Bresser EXOS-2 equatorial mount, which I believe is the same as the Skywatcher EQ-5. Nevertheless, it is not motorized and I am interested in the least fussy, cost-effective means of adding a motor to the RA axis. Lots of options on websites but it is a bit daunting and I don't want to lay out $200-300 to get something that turns out to be incompatible with my mount. I'm hoping that someone here can share info on how to proceed. Thanks!   -Ken

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 22 July 2019 - 04:32 PM

For the EQ5 the easy option is the Enhanced Dual Motor Drive.

The "enhancement" is a more modern handset then the old one - which was a bit of a lump.

Cost here is £110 so at a guess around $150 in the US.

Doesn't really drive that fast, idea is that you disengage the clutches, aim scope, reengage clutches and the drive via handset for the final bit. Then it tracks.

Where you would get one I have no real idea, unsure of Skywatcher equipment in the US.

For the Bresser (if different) then it will be the ES site as a source.

Unsure of cost etc.

Just in case: The EQ5 dual drive is 6 volt, not 12 volt. Be aware of this, people have killed the electronics at first power up by forgetting this.

Edited by sg6, 22 July 2019 - 04:34 PM.

#3 Gabby76

Gabby76

Ranger 4

• Loc: British Columbia

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:50 PM

https://www.teleskop...ntierungen.html

this may be available from Explore Scientific, I would check the installation instruction for the motor from Bresser and Skywatcher as I believe the EXOS is a clone of the LXD-75 (Meade) 

#4 georgian82

georgian82

Messenger

• Loc: Healdsburg, California

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:24 PM

If you want Goto control for astrophotography, you could consider going this route which is what I did for my Vixen GP2 mount. Works great and it's fully ASCOM compliant so you can use it with EQMOD and CDC for example or SGP for astrophotography.

https://www.ebay.com...AiABEgKgOPD_BwE

or another alternative (cheaper seems like). Same concept but different vendor although I have no experience with this one...

https://www.ebay.com...ASABEgLo1_D_BwE

Edited by georgian82, 23 July 2019 - 02:24 PM.

#5 jnanof

jnanof

Vostok 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 25 July 2019 - 12:38 PM

Look into Onstep. Very easy to adapt this mount and works like high end electronics systems on expensive mounts.Uses stepper motors instead of servos but results are fantastic. 

• AzimuthAviation likes this

#6 kenadelman

kenadelman

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 25 July 2019 - 02:30 PM

https://www.teleskop...ntierungen.html

this may be available from Explore Scientific, I would check the installation instruction for the motor from Bresser and Skywatcher as I believe the EXOS is a clone of the LXD-75 (Meade) 

Gabby76, I looked into those, but is that solution (for about $225 american) much different or better than the Onstep EQ5 motor kit suggested by jnanof which is about $150? If they are comparable then it seems to be a no-brainer to get the Onstep as I was hoping to spend $200 or less. I also found this thread which talks about adding just a R.A. stepper motor without getting into the goto level of things:

https://www.cloudyni...er-dual-drives/

FLO sells the R.A. stepper motor as a separate unit than dual drives, and has a control handset for about $80. Other than the inclusion of the dec motor does the Onstep solution offer much more?

#7 kenadelman

kenadelman

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 25 July 2019 - 02:37 PM

I was mistaken- the Onstep is actually 335 euros so totally out of my league (at least for now). That makes more sense. It seems like the questions I need to ask myself are:

RA only vs. dual drives

Ability to add goto functionality in the future

Fully compatible with my mount vs. requiring modifications

I appreciate the responses!

#8 jnanof

jnanof

Vostok 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 25 July 2019 - 03:11 PM

I was mistaken- the Onstep is actually 335 euros so totally out of my league (at least for now). That makes more sense. It seems like the questions I need to ask myself are:

RA only vs. dual drives

Ability to add goto functionality in the future

Fully compatible with my mount vs. requiring modifications

I appreciate the responses!

Onstep on the cheap should be less that $150 US but it is a DIY item. You buy the parts and put together, program etc. I would suggest the MKS Gen-L route if you are not good at buying little electronics and soldering etc. https://groups.io/g/...wiki/2D-RAMPS14, add a couple stepper motors, 3d printed parts, stepper driver boards, pulleys and timing belts and wifi module. It is a fun option but not for everyone. The ability to have wifi, goto, guiding, planetarium control and great support community made this a fun project for my CG5. I would definitely use again in my future DIY projects. Your other option is just a stepper motor and very basic arduino board programmed to sidereal rate. 

• AzimuthAviation likes this

#9 tmaestro

tmaestro

Messenger

• Loc: West of Houston, Texas

Posted 26 July 2019 - 04:48 PM

I have an old, but sturdy CG-5 that used to be an Advanced GT.  The boards or motors were blown on that thing so I made it a manual mount for a couple of years until I bought this:

https://www.firstlig...it-for-eq5.html

It fit perfectly and works beautifully with an EQDirect cable.

IMG_7293.jpg

The set is pretty tidy, the looping wires you see on the tripod spreader are the USB3 and the EQDirect cables coming from the camera and motor control box.

#10 Larrythebrewer

Larrythebrewer

Mariner 2

• Loc: Cincinnati, Oh

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:34 AM

Hi y'all. This is my first post here, so be gentle with me...grin.gif

I own a Bresser EXOS-2 equatorial mount, which I believe is the same as the Skywatcher EQ-5. Nevertheless, it is not motorized and I am interested in the least fussy, cost-effective means of adding a motor to the RA axis. Lots of options on websites but it is a bit daunting and I don't want to lay out $200-300 to get something that turns out to be incompatible with my mount. I'm hoping that someone here can share info on how to proceed. Thanks!   -Ken

I have a Meade LX70 mount, which is an eq5, anyway I bought this from Scope Essentials, its single ra axis drive, for a skywatcher:

https://www.scopeess...e-for-eq5-mount

It attached with no problems, & works great

cost $79 (US dollars) including shipping from somewhere in B.C. Canada to Ohio

Hope this helps

Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• B8B426DC-BB51-4E26-B4E7-01CC2C98BA8C.jpeg
  • AB9D8821-C314-4CA9-97E1-DEB55BDE1F37.jpeg
  • B5290D0B-4C43-4790-8F31-AC7DAD20D726.jpeg
  • 63B6EDB0-40DD-48F8-A24E-F1555B6F5996.jpeg

Edited by Larrythebrewer, 27 July 2019 - 08:59 AM.

#11 Gabby76

Gabby76

Ranger 4

• Loc: British Columbia

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:38 PM

Gabby76, I looked into those, but is that solution (for about $225 american) much different or better than the Onstep EQ5 motor kit suggested by jnanof which is about $150? If they are comparable then it seems to be a no-brainer to get the Onstep as I was hoping to spend $200 or less. I also found this thread which talks about adding just a R.A. stepper motor without getting into the goto level of things:

https://www.cloudyni...er-dual-drives/

FLO sells the R.A. stepper motor as a separate unit than dual drives, and has a control handset for about $80. Other than the inclusion of the dec motor does the Onstep solution offer much more?

I have no experience between the two for comparison so cannot answer that question. 

The link I provided was for motors I know will fit the mount though they seem to be hard to find in North America. 

There seems to be a lot more options available in EU/ UK than in the NA market. 

#12 kenadelman

kenadelman

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:33 PM

Ok I bit the bullet and purchased the single-axis motor from FLO which ran me about $90 with shipping. The mount unfortunately is 3 hours away from me and I won't have a chance to get to it for another week. Looking at the motor installation instructions I am a little concerned though - the instructions depict the RA worm gear as having a protruding rod with a flattened section opposite to where the slow-motion cable attaches, and the small gear that comes with the motor attaches to the protrusion using a small hex set screw. I don't recall seeing this protruding rod however, I think there is a collar of some sort surrounding the shaft which might keep me from being able to attach the gear. I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics