•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Long Short RV Trip, Image #1: LBN552, 553, LDN1228

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 22 July 2019 - 04:22 PM

My family and I had the incredible opportunity to spend 6 weeks traveling around the western United States in "Harvey the RV".  My last name is Short, hence the title "The Long Short RV Trip."  wink.gif

RV_MilkyWay.jpg

Of course, a primary consideration for this trip was visiting some very dark skies during the two new moon periods during the trip, and I was not disappointed.  We visited dark sites in Nebraska (site of the Nebraska Star Party), Wyoming (Devil's Tower, Yellowstone), Arizona (Grand Canyon) and Utah (Zion NP, Bryce NP, Kodachrome State Park, Dead Horse Point SP, Natural Bridges National Monument).  The best skies I saw were at Natural Bridges where the SQM registered 21.89. The Milky Way was HUGE, stretched from horizon to horizon and looked twice as wide as I normally see.  We don't have skies like that in Indiana, that's for sure.  

I was able to collect data on 5 deep sky objects with my normal Telescoep/CCD/CMOS setup, and to a lesser extend Milky Way and circumpolar images with a DSLR.  It will take me some time to process the data.

First up is a rather faint, dusty area LBN552, LBN553 and LDN1228. This will probably be my least favorite image from the trip, but still I couldn't do this from home. 

LBN552_1.png

• noodle, Joe G, Scott Mitchell and 14 others like this

#2 fetoma

fetoma

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southern NJ

Posted 22 July 2019 - 04:48 PM

Love the star color in all your images Joel. What's your secret?

#3 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:21 PM

Love the star color in all your images Joel. What's your secret?

LOL, no big secret.  When stretching the color image I use HistogramTransformation and ArcsinhStretch and do several small stretches with each, alternating between HT and ArcsinhStretch.  ArcsinhStretch really brings out the color but using that tool alone really messes up the stars.  Then I just boost the color a little toward the end of processing.

• H-Alfa, fetoma and elmiko like this

#4 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:53 AM

Great report and image Joel! :waytogo: Can’t wait for the other shots you took :cool:
I’m working on LBN552 from the suburbs of London!
Roberto

#5 ciraxis

ciraxis

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Syracuse, NY

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:23 AM

I love dusty images, I never seem to get anything great when I try to shoot them from my home.   One day I'll make it out to a dark site with my main setup.

Great shot though!

• buckeyestargazer likes this

#6 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:54 PM

Great report and image Joel! waytogo.gif Can’t wait for the other shots you took cool.gif
I’m working on LBN552 from the suburbs of London!
Roberto

Thanks Roberto.  I can't imagine trying to get this from a suburb location.  You are brave...I'll be interested to see how it turns out for you!

• R Botero likes this

#7 H-Alfa

H-Alfa

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:17 PM

LOL, no big secret. When stretching the color image I use HistogramTransformation and ArcsinhStretch and do several small stretches with each, alternating between HT and ArcsinhStretch. ArcsinhStretch really brings out the color but using that tool alone really messes up the stars. Then I just boost the color a little toward the end of processing.

Good tip! I will try... Thanks!

Enviado desde mi ANE-LX1 mediante Tapatalk

#8 lucam

lucam

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY, USA

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:47 PM

That's a beautiful image of faint dust, Joel! I have given up on these targets from my suburban skies but they sure are pretty. The RV trip sounds like an awesome family trip; I look forward to seeing all the images. 

#9 elmiko

elmiko

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 28 July 2019 - 06:35 PM

Beautiful image!!

#10 astrovienna

astrovienna

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: The NoVa White Zone

Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:34 PM

I love the dust image, Joel.  And thanks from me as well for the tip on star colors. I'll give that a try.

Kevin

#11 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:40 PM

I love the dust image, Joel.  And thanks from me as well for the tip on star colors. I'll give that a try.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, and you're welcome for the tip.  However it should be noted the every image is different and what works for one may not work for another.  Sometimes I simply use a more aggressive HistogramTransformation, sometimes I use MaskedStretch also. But ArcsinhStretch and HT does work well for many images.

#12 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 29 July 2019 - 04:46 PM

Thanks Roberto.  I can't imagine trying to get this from a suburb location.  You are brave...I'll be interested to see how it turns out for you!

Hi Joel

Without trying to hijack your thread, here's my version of LBN552 from London.  Only manged 13hrs in total over 3 months!

https://www.astrobin.com/417861/C/

get.jpg?insecure

Roberto

• buckeyestargazer and Aaron_tragle like this

#13 entilza

entilza

Soyuz

• Loc: Oakville, ON, Canada

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:17 AM

This is great! Looking forward to the rest!

#14 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2019 - 01:14 PM

This is great! Looking forward to the rest!

Thanks Martin!  I've posted a total of 4 images from the trip and I'm working on #5 now.  #5 is the last deep sky image.  I have some Milky Way and circumpolar shots to process that I took with a DSLR but those won't be nearly as good since I'm not a DSLR guy....and it shows grin.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics