•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which light pollution filter should I buy

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 hongxu chen

hongxu chen

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2019 - 04:31 PM

Hi all,

I have heavy light pollution here. Does light pollution filter really help? I found there are three kinds of filters, UHS, L-PRO and CLS. Which one should I choose for astrophotography? Will it cause chromatism?

Thank you!

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#2 kel123

kel123

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:07 PM

Light pollution filters do help. I will say it depends on your setup, your budget and editing skills. No one can advise you on this without knowing your setup

#3 hongxu chen

hongxu chen

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:03 AM

Light pollution filters do help. I will say it depends on your setup, your budget and editing skills. No one can advise you on this without knowing your setup

I get NP101 and KAF16200. Just start to AP. Not a lot experience. Really need your guys advice.

#4 vdog

vdog

Apollo

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 24 July 2019 - 12:32 AM

I get NP101 and KAF16200. Just start to AP. Not a lot experience. Really need your guys advice.

This question is probably a better one for the Equipment or Beginning and Intermediate Imaging forums.  I would suggest you request the moderator move it or start a new post in one of those forums.  You're more likely to get better help there.

#5 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:22 PM

I have gotten good results with the Hutech IDAS LPS2 and the Orion Imaging Skyglow Filter.

#6 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• Loc: outside of Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:21 AM

I am quite happy with my optolong L pro. Works quite well at controlling light pollution and star bloat.

#7 FlankerOneTwo

FlankerOneTwo

Viking 1

• Loc: Vegas, baby!

Posted 28 July 2019 - 02:15 PM

Agree that you'll probably get better answers in the imaging forums.

There are many factors to consider including - what types of targets are you looking to image and are you using a color or monochrome sensor?

Your best results in truly heavy light pollution are going to be with a monochrome sensor and narrowband filters - hydrogen-alpha, oxygen III, and +/- sulfur II 5nm bandpass or less would be a good start. This, however, will limit you to emission nebulae as targets.

If you're imaging with a "color" sensor (OSC), the multi-narrowband filters such as the STC Duo, OPT Triad or Triad Ultra, or Optolong L-Enhance are your next best bet, again for emission nebulae. You can of course use standard single narrowband filters, but less efficient as most of your pixels won't be doing anything (red pixels won't see much in OIII or SII, same for blue and green in Ha).

If you're looking to image broadband targets (galaxies, reflection nebulae, etc) the L-Pro and IDAS LPS-D2 are both pretty good, the L-Pro is thought to maintain natural color balance a little better, at the expense of a little less light rejection. Neither is going to work as well narrowband, though.

Good luck!

• AhBok and HydrogenAlpha like this

#8 hongxu chen

hongxu chen

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 July 2019 - 12:52 AM

Agree that you'll probably get better answers in the imaging forums.
There are many factors to consider including - what types of targets are you looking to image and are you using a color or monochrome sensor?

Your best results in truly heavy light pollution are going to be with a monochrome sensor and narrowband filters - hydrogen-alpha, oxygen III, and +/- sulfur II 5nm bandpass or less would be a good start. This, however, will limit you to emission nebulae as targets.
If you're imaging with a "color" sensor (OSC), the multi-narrowband filters such as the STC Duo, OPT Triad or Triad Ultra, or Optolong L-Enhance are your next best bet, again for emission nebulae. You can of course use standard single narrowband filters, but less efficient as most of your pixels won't be doing anything (red pixels won't see much in OIII or SII, same for blue and green in Ha).
If you're looking to image broadband targets (galaxies, reflection nebulae, etc) the L-Pro and IDAS LPS-D2 are both pretty good, the L-Pro is thought to maintain natural color balance a little better, at the expense of a little less light rejection. Neither is going to work as well narrowband, though.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your advice. It is very helpful!

#9 HydrogenAlpha

HydrogenAlpha

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 30 July 2019 - 04:25 AM

+1 on FlankerOneTwo. 

I found there are three kinds of filters, UHS, L-PRO and CLS. 

You absolutely shouldn't be using any of these. 

The beauty of having a mono camera is that you can use narrowband filters (SII, HA and OIII). I almost exclusively image in narrowband as I live in a bright city. For narrowband filters, I recommend a bandpass of 7nm or less. The smaller the bandpass the better, but costs go up rapidly. The baader enforced filters seem like a good balance between price and low bandpass.

#10 hongxu chen

hongxu chen

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2019 - 01:16 AM

+1 on FlankerOneTwo. 

You absolutely shouldn't be using any of these. 

The beauty of having a mono camera is that you can use narrowband filters (SII, HA and OIII). I almost exclusively image in narrowband as I live in a bright city. For narrowband filters, I recommend a bandpass of 7nm or less. The smaller the bandpass the better, but costs go up rapidly. The baader enforced filters seem like a good balance between price and low bandpass.

How about optolong? It is cheaper than Baader. 

#11 FlankerOneTwo

FlankerOneTwo

Viking 1

• Loc: Vegas, baby!

Posted 02 August 2019 - 03:26 AM

I've had good results with the 7nm Optolongs narrowbands (as well as their other filters), however their focus point is waaaay different than the Astrodon LRGBs that I use. Probably not a big deal if you focus manually or use fixed focus offsets, but FocusLock wasn't happy with how large the offset was from the guide star on which it was focusing through the ONAG. Might be an issue if you cycle through the filters instead of running them as a batch, and particularly if there is some slip in your focuser (as systems that attach to the fine focus pinion of a Crayford focuser may be prone to have). In that case, I found that the less driving around the focuser had to do, the better.

#12 hongxu chen

hongxu chen

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:10 AM

I've had good results with the 7nm Optolongs narrowbands (as well as their other filters), however their focus point is waaaay different than the Astrodon LRGBs that I use. Probably not a big deal if you focus manually or use fixed focus offsets, but FocusLock wasn't happy with how large the offset was from the guide star on which it was focusing through the ONAG. Might be an issue if you cycle through the filters instead of running them as a batch, and particularly if there is some slip in your focuser (as systems that attach to the fine focus pinion of a Crayford focuser may be prone to have). In that case, I found that the less driving around the focuser had to do, the better.

It that AR version? Or normal one?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics